In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Freemind

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
You posted a nice, friendly, and supportative comment to me on the general discussion forum. I just want to take a second to expound on what you mentioned.

Regarding my support for the NRA. Even though it is indisputable that the NRA accomplishes some good for gun owners, it might still be that the NRA is a dinosaur that needs to be put out of it's misery. But from there my opinion diverges from so many people here. That dinosaur might be old, feeble and even sometimes working against us. But by that dinosaur continuing to exist, and to be visible to our enemies, that dinosaur to some degree keeps our enemies at bay and allows us gun owners to project the image of more power than we actually have.

The big disagreement that many, many people here have against me is that they want to see all support withdrawn from the NRA or even to see the NRA disband tomorrow. If that were to happen, in my opinion, our enemies would suddenly be emboldened and launch stronger and more efffective attacks against our gun rights.

One gun right in particular that might be lost can be demonstrated by the "no CCW" signs posted in a few stores here in KS and MO. If the NRA suddenly evaporated tomorrow, I truly feel that many more stores would start posting "no CCW" signs because they would immediately start to think that gun owners don't have as much power as once thought.

That is, in my opinion, just one of the downsides of trashing the NRA without first getting a big, strong and effective organization to take the place of that large dinosaur.

When I get personally attacked,(not referring to you) when our disagreement is or shouldn't be personal, that is what we are really disagreeing on. I believe my position makes a certain amount of sense, even though it seems to infuriate so very many people against me.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    TR,
    My post wasn't to rehash the NRA debate. It was simply to say for the most part, I think you are spot on in your thinking except when it comes to the NRA.

Granted, in todays world we *may* need an organization to look out for us,because most are too lazy to call their reps. themselves. We absolutely DON'T need someone to hurt our rights, even if once in a while they *may* do some good.

I liken this debate to this example:

You go to joe's car dealership to buy a nice used car. You trust joe as he has been in business for years. Your family has ALLWAYS bought at joe's.
    Joe makes you a great deal on that towncar you have been eyeing. He sells it to you for $4000 under bluebook. You jump for joy at the great deal you just got.

10 miles down the road, your new towncar BLOWS a motor. Joe knew it was bad, as Joe has many mechanics working at his dealership. You go back to Joe to remedy the problem. Joe states to you, "Look at the great deal I gave you, WHAT? are you ungreatful?" Needless to say, Joe gives you the shaft, and there you are left holding the bag.

After all costs are totaled, that repair job cost you $7000. Instead of saving 4K, it cost you 3K more than you bargined for.

Not such a good deal now is it?

To conclude, TR, I think you are an O.K. guy. I feel though, that you are mighty deluded, when it comes to the NRA. Other than that issue, I have no problems with you. I belive we agree on many, many things. Your OK in my book. [:D]
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I would be unreasonable to ask for a better attitude towards me. Thanks.[8D]