In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Guns at Work

chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
I work right next to RDU airport in Morrisville, NC. If you turn on the news the fellow who killed that pregnant Marine appears to be on the loose nearby due to his truck being found less than a mile away. We sort of thought something might be happening since the sky was suddenly filled with helicopters.

The first thing that happened was one of the ladies in the front went around and locked all of our doors. The second, third, etc, thing was people started asking me if I was carrying my gun. I am. We have a policy of personal responsibility in my office. Several of us have carry permits and do so.

Now I have no expectation of any silly adventure surrounding this rather tragic turn of events but I do know that my possessing a weapon has contributed to the perceived safety and comfort of my fellow employees and employer.

Taurus PT 111 Mil Pro $350
NC Concealed Carry Permit $95
50 rounds of 9mm JHP $10
Security, safety and peace of mind PRICELESS

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So often, you hear that an employer will NOT allow an employee to carry.
    Good to hear your employer allows it.
    Even better to hear, no one objects.

On another note, I have to wonder why your fellow employees would ask you, if you were carrying?
  • Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    50 rounds of 9mm JHP $10....

Not these days[:D]...more like $20 if you want some good ones....
  • jma2006jma2006 Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    So often, you hear that an employer will NOT allow an employee to carry.
    Good to hear your employer allows it.
    Even better to hear, no one objects.

I second it!
  • chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup

On another note, I have to wonder why your fellow employees would ask you, if you were carrying?

Two of us took our CCW classes at the same time and needed to get off a little early each night the classes were held. It is a small company (20 of us) and it was no secret what we were doing. We were rather proud of getting our permits and crowed a bit about it as well. When I really think about it, it is not uncommon for me to recove ammo at work and even clean firearms. I love my job.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Gunz
    50 rounds of 9mm JHP $10....

Not these days[:D]...more like $20 if you want some good ones....

I stand corrected, I was in a bit of a hurry trying to hard to be clever. After I read it I knew I would get called on it.[:D]
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    i get sad when i think of all the lives that WOULD have been saved if we were allowed to be armed for self defence...we cant even carry a pocket knife for self defence!..i personally carry mine for "cutting rope and opening boxes at work officer"...tragic, but i have to lie when a cop asks me why i have a knife...you americans are an insperation to people like me with your gun laws...i sure hope you never loose them and become like us[V]
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I work for USPS and can't carry on the job/inside the building. I do wear my empty holster at all times and although it gets some "looks" no complaints have been made. It's a small rural village and most pickups have a gun of some sort in the cab. Even though I'm the "chief of police" duly appointed by the fire department coffee club, I still have to go out to my vehicle and get my gun and my one bullet in case of an emergency situation.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    One of my employers requires me to carry at work. The other allows and encourages it. If he didn't, I wouldn't work there.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Employers/business owners that prohobit CCW by peaceful, lawful citizens have the twisted mindset of the liberal anti-gun side. They all know they can't control the unlawful, violent criminals so they take what they think is their second best choice. They control the peaceful lawful citizens.

Kinda like a cowardly dog catcher going after the dog who never has and never will bite but avoiding the dog that does bite. It is just plain easier for them all.

But it doesn't make sense and it doesn't work to solve the problem.
  • pjb8ypjb8y Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I work at a university hospital. I'm an anesthesiologist, an NRA life member, a GOA life member, have a CCP, practice regularly, have taken several defensive pistol classes, etc. If I carry as much as a stick at work, I could be immediately fired. My state has a preemption statute--but my university preempts state law; this has gone all the way to the state AG's department and I lost. I guess that is just fine because the university, like Virginia Tech, says that we are all safe here. We are in effect made to chose between our safety and our lives. I know which one I chose every day but I should not have to ever make such a choice.
    edited November -1
    I actually attended Virginia Tech back in the 1980s. The building this all went down in was where I took my freshman chemistry classes. The first thing that went through my head was why weren't any of the students carrying. I always did when I was there as did several of my friends. (Agricultural majors) We also hunted and had rifles and shotguns in the cars. Things are so much better now.
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a public employee in the state of Nevada, I cannot carry my firearm into my work building. All public buildings (local, state, federal, schools, universities, airports, etc.) are off-limits to firearms.

I have a CCW, but my gun stays in my truck out in the parking lot. I heard our previous county sheriff say that he firmly believed that vehicles were private property and therefore had no problem with folks storing firearms in them, even when parked on public property.

I e-mailed our HR department to get written clarification on the "official" policy and received a "we will look into it" response, but never heard any more about it. I figure that e-mail (which I saved) is my due diligence. I will continue to store my firearm in my vehicle in the public lot until I hear otherwise, which in that case I will park across the street where my employer has no jurisdiction.

I work very close to a public counter where people can occassionally get agitated about the bureacracy they commonly have to deal with. If one of those individuals decides to pop off and pulls a gun then I feel very sorry for the dozen or so souls that will be lost in the 6 to 8 minutes it takes for me to run to my truck, get my gun, and run back inside.

Welcome to "pro-gun" Nevada.
  • CUEANDCUSHIONCUEANDCUSHION Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another viewpoint.

Unfortunately you also have the position that a company's insurance company does not want to cover you due to legal liability. I am fortunate that as an owner I can carry a gun on my own property but my employees cannot. I would have to change a lot of requirements on my workmans compensation insurance, liability insurance, and health insurance. Just a different way that rights slowly get drained away.
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cue, are you saying that your liability and workman's comp insurance carrier specifically asked you if your employees were armed? If so, how did you respond? Couldn't you have just said "Not to my knowledge" and left it at that? Did you actually have to set company policy informing your employees that they must be disarmed in your workplace? How come you are the only one "allowed" to carry in your business? In the insurance company's eyes, don't you pose as much of a threat being armed in your workplace as one of your employees would? Or did you just omit to tell your insurance carrier that you sometimes carry a gun at work?

If an employee came to you and revealed that they have a CCW and would like to carry at work, would you let them? From an insurance company's point of view, how is that any different than when you carry a gun at work?
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    WW, why don't people just observe your signature line and say piss on the regulations and laws that attempt to restrict or remove a God-given constitutional right. It's a right. I'll say it again IT'S A RIGHT. All of the rest(CCW, insurance regs, workplace regs,laws prohibiting) is just...nothing. They are all pre-empted by your RIGHT, and whoever made them was wasting their time, ....unless...we give it power and authority. Why do we allow this stupidity? I carry. I have a CCW, the one that comes in #2 in the BOR.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CUEANDCUSHION

Just a different way that rights slowly get drained away.

If you look at the end of your arm you will see the hand that is holding the chain for the plug of the drain you speak of.
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    I carry at work, at home, anywhere. "legal" or otherwise. Permit or no. I have a permit from my "home" state and from a couple of surrounding ones.

My hardest time is when I fly to other states. Depending on the amount of notice, I will ship one to myself and carry ammo in my checked luggage. I'll ship it back home to myself too. Happens about half a dozen times a year.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul

My hardest time is when I fly to other states. Depending on the amount of notice, I will ship one to myself and carry ammo in my checked luggage. I'll ship it back home to myself too. Happens about half a dozen times a year.

Try flying Southwest. I check my pistol and ammo in my luggage all the time and they are absolutely fantastic about it. My luggage was lost once but when I mentioned the contents they moved heaven and earth to find it and deliver it to my hotel door that night. I have over 20 round trips with them with only that incident and I am more than happy with the way they resolved it. That said, I do not take favorite most exensive firearms with me when I travel.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In our company handbook it clearly states that no employee may bring a firearm to work or on company property or in company vehicles--well I drive about 1000 miles a week all over the state in a company vehicle and sometimes in remote areas--my immediate supervisor told me to hell with that book and If I felt the need to carry then he would back me up. [:D]
    edited November -1
    We have been fortunate enough and also have not grown to the point where we need a company handbook.

Our employees, while they all have their quirks and oddities (especially me) are all good people who have a lot of common sense. I recognize daily how lucky I am to work where I do.

I carried illegally for years and decided about 8 years ago when I found myself becoming a parent that I would try walking on this side of the law. Funny how that happens. I've not regretted it but I can not even now claim 100% compliance in all instances. I do my best though.