In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

D.C. gun control??

rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
What would happen to federal gun laws should the D.C. ban get overturned this summer[;)][B)][}:)]? Would this have any repercusions in the rest of the states gun laws? Meaning the constitutionality of them as a whole or would this go back into a states rights kind of an arguement.

Comments

• Options
    Little-AcornLittle-Acorn Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not a lawyer, but I think people in other states would then have to bring their own lawsuits against the laws in their own states that restrict or ban guns. A favorable decision in the Parker case would not automatically strike down laws elsewhere, only the gun ban in DC.

The good news is, with such a decision now set as precedent, any other similar lawsuits from other areas have a very good chance at succeeding, getting gun bans etc. struck down by the Supremes if/when they do make it to the Supreme Court.
  • Options
    LandorLandor Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it was over turned it would be a major win. It would force the other locked down states to realize the people have the right to keep and bare arms. Would it make a difference in the long run. Who knows.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the Supreme Court will find some kind of cop-out decision. Their ruling will likely be divided and confusing and will provide no real closure on the issue.
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WoundedWolf
    I think the Supreme Court will find some kind of cop-out decision. Their ruling will likely be divided and confusing and will provide no real closure on the issue.

Like how they said that race could be a factor in college applications, but not a DECIDING factor???

If it carries any weight at all, it could be a deciding factor.