In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

If You're Not Happy With Politics...........

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
From reading various posts on GB.com for several years, I don't believe anyone is completely happy with the way we elect politicians. I posted an idea (not mine) for a simple and effective change to the situation that would give each and every voter more power when using their one vote. As I expected, the idea was largely ignored.

Not that I am not blaming anyone. It is just human nature to ignore new ideas. And it might even be that many here read about the idea and saw some flaw and became uninterested. But my point is that if we don't get a movement started to change the election process, then we will of course be stuck with the same old process. A process that apparently makes no one happy but the winners of the elections.

So, if you haven't read about the idea I posted (link below) then at least please read it and see if you want to support it. Or, if not, then offer an idea of your own. We need to do something. Something more than just complain and post comments.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=283488

edited ONLY to fix link. thanks pickenup. I must have got careless.

Comments

• Options
    ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time for a revolution.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ladams
    Time for a revolution.

If you burn down the house that you are unhappy with, you will never know but that when the new house is built, you will like it even less.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    TR,
    Your post didn't strike me as a solution I could deal with.

Rather I want all public position elected by POPULAR vote. Screw the electoral colledge. One vote, one voice. All voting should be done this way, not just some.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind
    TR,

Rather I want all public position elected by POPULAR vote. Screw the electoral colledge. One vote, one voice. All voting should be done this way, not just some.

Popular vote is OK for a small, local (state, county, city) election. In fact, that is how it is done. No elections but for US president are decided by an electoral college. But an electoral college is a bad, bad idea for a nationwide election. Reason being that the small states would be streamrollered by the larger states. To put this in clear terms, if we elected presidents based on popular vote, I would bet you money that few, if any, candidates would even bother to campaign in most of the very small, lightly populated states. Instead, they would focus their time, money and effort in the large and/or heavily populated states.

In addition, candidates whose policital/government experience was experienced in one of the small, lightly populated states, would not be as well received by the voters in the large/heavily populated states because those voters would not be as familair with that small state candidate as they would be a candidate from one of the larger states.

While the electoral college is not perfect, it is better than electing presidents by popular vote.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TR,

Gore would be POTUS today.
    CA, NY, OH, PA, NJ, FL, MI and a couple other states would absolutely control the POTUS election. AK, KY, UT, AZ, WY and other low population states would simply not count at all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    TR,

CA, NY, OH, PA, NJ, FL, MI and a couple other states would absolutely control the POTUS election. AK, KY, UT, AZ, WY and other low population states would simply not count at all.

Thank you for helping me make my point. What do you think about the new voting idea posted at the top of this topic?
  • Options
    45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's an interesting idea. Not sure how well it would work but it is interesting. As for the post by bpost1958,,,,I live in Ca and it would make no difference if we went with popular vote or kept it as is. We allways get screwed here as a conservative. L.A and S.F control this state. The map of Ca. is all Red except for those two areas. And we lose our conservative butts every time. There just aren't enough "redneck conservatives" to over come the mass lunacy here.
  • Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    TR,

Nope, sorry. Gore still wouldn't be the President (Thank, God!). He conceeded the election. I am thankful every freakin day that he did.