In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lets Hope Bush Packed the Courts Well

chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
Well as much as I despise that little prep school coke head twerp, the one thing we can thank him for as gun owners is he left us a well packed Supreme Court, I hope.

I guess it was worth it in spite of the war in Iraq. If the Supreme court behaves itself and the conservative activist judges he appointed do their job, anti-gun legislation will have a steep uphill battle.

Comments

• lovethemcoltslovethemcolts Member Posts: 536 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess it was worth it in spite of the war in Iraq. If the Supreme court behaves itself and the conservative activist judges he appointed do their job, anti-gun legislation will have a steep uphill battle.

Problem is, if we have a Democratic President and Democratic majority in Congress, you will see lots of new gun laws.

Won't matter if Mickie Mouse is on the supreme court.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lovethemcolts

Problem is, if we have a Democratic President and Democratic majority in Congress, you will see lots of new gun laws.

Or a Republican president, and a democrat congress for that matter. Republicans have continually demonstrated, as far as judges are concerned, their purpose is to serve lip service to those who are concerned about the judiciary. They talk a big game when running for elections, but when it comes time to actually nominating, they couldnt be bothered with the hassle of appointing constitutional judges.
    Look at GW! With a Senate controlled by the GOP, he didnt even have the balls to nominate a PROVEN constitutionalist. Got scared, and threw out a cpule of no names-I mean Harriet Meyers?? All the good constitutionalist judges out there, and GW throws out a name that he felt would cause the least amount of fuss.
    The reality is, Republicans dont want to deal with the mess of nominating conservative judges. So much easier for them to appease the leftists, and not make such a fuss.
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    quote:Originally posted by lovethemcolts

Or a Republican president, and a democrat congress for that matter. Republicans have continually demonstrated, as far as judges are concerned, their purpose is to serve lip service to those who are concerned about the judiciary. They talk a big game when running for elections, but when it comes time to actually nominating, they couldnt be bothered with the hassle of appointing constitutional judges.
    Look at GW! With a Senate controlled by the GOP, he didnt even have the balls to nominate a PROVEN constitutionalist. Got scared, and threw out a cpule of no names-I mean Harriet Meyers?? All the good constitutionalist judges out there, and GW throws out a name that he felt would cause the least amount of fuss.
    The reality is, Republicans dont want to deal with the mess of nominating conservative judges. So much easier for them to appease the leftists, and not make such a fuss.

Well, he did nominate Alito, the guy the GOA wanted on the courts. Don't think much of his other nominations, though.

Alito, as the GOF says, was involved in the Rybar machine gun case, which the GOF ultimately lost in the courts. But in his statement, Alito said that Congress has no authority to regulate the private ownership of automatic weapons. [:D]
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    dsmith- Yeah, he did nominate Alito, but do you remember how much arm pulling it took for him to put someone like Alito on the court?? We had to go through the whole Meyers nonsense first-only after conservatives flipped out about it, did George finally do the right thing-and all this with a Republican senate. If he gets week kneed when he has the senate, imagine what will happen with a democrat controlled senate.
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, salzo, you are right about the arm pulling. I am convinced Dubya is an anti-gunner. But now all we need are 4 more like Alito on the Supreme Court.