In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sales Tax in California

First Big FootFirst Big Foot Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
It was my understanding for some years now that mail orders purchased from somewhere outside of California, (my home state), carried no sales tax responsibility, such as purchasing a firearm from someone in Oregon.

But My FFL guy insists that the Sales Tax Board insists that he charge and pay sales tax, from me and to the state, on every firearm sale, regardless of where it is from.

Is there anybody out there that can actually quote me law or ordinance or whatever you call it to prove me right? Or is he right?

Thanks for your input:
First Big Foot

Comments

• EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    The Board of Equalization has stated that if the dealer receives the firearm from another licensed dealer, then it is a commercial transfer and sales/use tax must be collected. If the dealer receives the firearm from an unlicensed individual and is only facilitating the sale in order to comply with the law, then it is considered an occasional sale between individuals and is not taxable.