In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1 gun a month?

cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
I posted this in politics earlier because GR and CL was locked.
[:D]

C&P from Townhall.com

My New Year's Gun Control Resolution
By Mike S. Adams
Monday, December 31, 2007

Lately, liberals (read: statists) have been giving me a hard time about my opposition to a gun control initiative that would limit gun purchases to one per month per owner. Since I a) don't like the government telling me how many guns I can own, and b) just hate having liberals (read: statists) mad at me, I've come up with a solution. It takes the form of a New Year's resolution sure to make everyone happy (myself especially).

I hereby resolve to help the cause of gun control in America by purchasing only one gun per month in 2008. Naturally, I am providing a list of those guns below with pretty pictures you can access with a click of the mouse. I hope you enjoy the following selections:

January - Beretta .32 Auto Tomcat

This is a great little gun to purchase if you are having trouble finding a gun that will fit inside the fanny pack you use when you are jogging. Of course, I don't use a fanny pack when I am jogging but after I buy this sweet little Beretta I'll have a good excuse to buy one.

February - Walther 380 Auto

This year I plan to adopt a nineteen year old girl who still has two years of college left (at Bucknell University). Her boyfriend is pretty big but he's often busy studying for medical school. So I plan to buy her this stainless 380 for personal protection. It is both an accurate and a reliable weapon. Plus, she thinks it's "cute."

March - Sig Sauer 226 9mm Elite

My friend Barry Whitehead shoots a Sig 9mm with a 3.9-inch barrel. The gun is so accurate that I can hardly imagine the 4.4-inch barrel version to be better. But I plan to find out with this lovely spring purchase. Just in case a Democrat is elected president I want to make sure I have plenty of 9mm weapons that take 15-round magazines (before they re-ban them). This Sig fits my requirements and it's also "cute."

April - Smith and Wesson Model 610 10mm Revolver

I've been considering a 10mm Automatic for some time but, like many readers, I've been worried about the price and availability of the 10mm cartridge. That problem has now been solved with my discovery of the Model 610, which also shoots the S&W .40 caliber round. This is a good side arm for hog hunters. I plan to buy the version with the four-inch barrel.

May - Ruger Super Redhawk .45 Colt

The .45 Colt is the second best home defense weapon - finishing a distant second behind the 12 gauge pump shotgun. But this new double-action .45 Colt has one advantage over the shotgun: It can be placed on your passenger seat in plain view of the would-be carjacker.

June - Beretta Stampede (Deluxe) Single Action Revolver in .357 or .45 Colt

This is a pretty gun. I would like to have about 72 of these - 36 in .357 and 36 in .45 Colt - sitting around the house. Fresh out of the box and never fired, of course. That would be heaven.

July - Browning BAR 7mm Rem. Mag.

I've been told that the 7mm Rem. Mag. is the best Elk round available. I intend to find out one way or another. If I'm ever attacked by a an Elk out here on the East Coast I'll be more than ready. If that doesn't happen, I guess I'm due for a road trip to Colorado.

August - Browning BLR 30.06

Many of my friends say that the 30.06 is the best round for hog and black bear hunting. I plan to test the theory with this late summer purchase. I feel quite a bit safer with a lever action as opposed to a semi-auto. I also feel quite a bit better now that I've shared my feelings with my readers.

September - Ruger 10/22 Camo Rifle

This is a good first gun for anyone. I would suggest it for the novice hunter interested in sharpening his skills on squirrels, rabbits, and other small game.

October - Remington 1187 12-Gauge Super Magnum

My friend Barry Whitehead says I need to take up goose hunting. I learned long ago that one should never ignore the advice of Barry Whitehead when it comes to guns. This model will do the trick. The Remington is, in my opinion, the best shotgun for the money.

November - Browning Over/Under Cynergy "Field" Shotgun

I've been thinking about getting a new shotgun for quail hunting. I feel more comfortable with an over/under than with a semi-auto. After all, I occasionally hunt with a 78 year old lawyer. One can never be too careful.

December - Kimber Valier SXS Grade II Double-Barrel Shotgun

I have decided to reward myself with this beauty for a Christmas gift. The 16-gauge with 26-inch barrels should do the trick for pheasant hunting. My only problem is that I cannot decide between a) the Color Case, b) the Bone Charcoal, or c) the Blue receiver.

Comments

• Options
    jma2006jma2006 Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really think you should not limit yourself so much.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Given enough time, folks will come up with the most asinine laws
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Yeah, the old "one gun a month" is just yet another goofey liberal plan. Makes about as much sense as limiting check forgers to one ball point pen per month, or a driver with a DUI conviction to one tank full of gas per month, and on and on. Course the difference is that the gun owner/buyer has not already been convicted of breaking the laws, such as check forging, DUI, etc.

Funny thing about a gun owners having numerous guns and lots of ammo, they can only accurately shoot one gun and one round at a time. Liberals just don't understand the world they live in. They seem to believe that if they put enough words on paper (laws) they can somehow create paradise on earth.
  • Options
    chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really wish that they would hurry up and make this an entitlement program. I can only afford about one gun a year.

Just think, we could arm the inner cities to the teeth, have the police stand aside and let them all work things out for themselves. With 24/7 live coverage of course.
  • Options
    45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be a real money maker on PayPerView *LOL*
  • Options
    l3tol3to Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chaoslodge
    I really wish that they would hurry up and make this an entitlement program. I can only afford about one gun a year.

Just think, we could arm the inner cities to the teeth, have the police stand aside and let them all work things out for themselves. With 24/7 live coverage of course.

Well since cops can be as much of the problem as the citizens I think that suggestion is flawed
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, it should government subsidized and be MANDATORY!
    JM
  • Options
    NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the high school where I teach, my liberal colleagues are all very anti-gun/anti-2nd Amendment. One was brow-beating me about this 1 gun a month idea, I got tired of it, and then I told him I agreed. His mouth dropped and he said he couldn't believe it. I told him "Sure, I agree, it should be mandated that everyone must buy at least one gun month and since I don't believe in unfunded mandates......" ha ha. He turned and angrily left my room.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One gun a month makes about as little sense as trying to cut down on rich, famous people and their frequent drug and alcohol driving arrests by limiting them to buying only one car a month.

Course that is not a good comparsion because I am using admitted dangerous and illegal behavior (DUI) with lawful, peaceful gun buyers. So maybe it would be OK to limit known criminals to only one gun purchase a month. I would also like to ask the liberals that like this one gun a month idea exactly where the benefit comes from by enacting yet another gun law on the lawful public. Yeah, enacting laws are a pretty seririous action because it is yet another layer of burden on already lawful people (the only people who obey laws to begin with) so an honest and reasonable society should want to enact as few laws as possible.

So I ask again to the liberals. Where is the benefit to be gained from having a one gun a month law? I myself, if I were to go nuts and start shooting people, I can only accurately shoot one gun at a time, regardless of whether I have a trunk-load of guns with me or not.

BTW, I am not shy about mentioning that occassionally a peaceful, lawful gun owner WILL probably go nuts and start shooting people. If I ever go crazy I hope another gun owner is ready, will and able (by having CCW) to shoot me down like a dog before I hurt anyone. But I have two comments about all that. One is that such a threat is all the more reason that any peaceful, responsible citizens that wants to CCW should be allowed to almost anywhere. The other comment is that, like it or not, citizens from time to time in all walks of life (cops, politicians, teachers, gun owners, physicians, Semi-truck drivers, etc.) will go nuts and harm innocent people. As long as we offer all citizens a free and open society there is no way to completely prevent this.

We have to accept the fact that freedom is not free. With freedom comes, not only responsibility, but some problems that we would rather not have. That is part of a free life.

(Disclaimer: I have lived 65 years without "going nuts" and I strongly believe that no innocent living thing should ever be harmed unless there is no other choice)
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    As long as we offer all citizens a free and open society there is no way to completely prevent this.

TR,

Even if we weren't "free and open" there is no REAL way to stop the criminal or would be criminal from doing, what they have made their mind up to do.

Difference being, in a free society, we enable ourselves to PRESERVE life, liberty and family. WE take on responsibility for OURSELVES in a free society, unlike the "unfree" societies.

I'm sure that is what you ment anyway. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    As long as we offer all citizens a free and open society there is no way to completely prevent this.

TR,

Even if we weren't "free and open" there is no REAL way to stop the criminal or would be criminal from doing, what they have made their mind up to do.

Difference being, in a free society, we enable ourselves to PRESERVE life, liberty and family. WE take on responsibility for OURSELVES in a free society, unlike the "unfree" societies.

I'm sure that is what you ment anyway. [:)]

You are partly right freemind. But actually many planned crimes can be and are stopped before they are able to happen. You have read about it in the news I'm sure. Either from law enforcement luckily being in the right place at the right time, or from the results of an ongoing police investigation, or from an informent, etc. It is not fair to say that only the armed, indivdual citizens can protect them and theirs from harm. Often times society is able and does protect the citizens.

Now this does not mean I believe that lawful citizens should not have full rights to have the means to protect them and theirs and should have the law on their side, etc.
  • Options
    crash2usafcrash2usaf Member Posts: 4,094
    edited November -1
    Wait a cotton picking minute, is someone suggesting that guns may actually teach/preach/instill in people what it is to be responsible? I thought they were dangerous objects that we mere citizens aren't responsible enough to handle unlike government trained ocifers