In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

McCain - Dims - ace in the hole?

slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
McCain was not born on US soil. Only US Embassies are considered US soil. This will turn into a serious issue for McCain and the pubs.

Do you think the DIMs are holding off persuing this until it is too late?

Maybe Ron Paul still has a chance!

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    This is a non-issue as his parents are Americans. The Constitution will recognize him as natural born.

A side note. Yesterday I ran into a guy, ex-Naval Aviator who knew McCain on the Bonhomme Richard. It was very enlightening as to the kind of guy he was then. As an ensign, he kept his nose stuck up the skippers * as his goal was to make CNO. Later he decided that politics, not the Navy, would take him farther and that his stay in Hanoi probably kept him out of trouble and definately got him elected to the Senate.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Both my son and daughter were born in a Hospital in Germany, they are both american citizens.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    Both my son and daughter were born in a Hospital in Germany, they are both american citizens.

And neither one is eligable to become President of the US.

No one is arguing that McCain is not a US citizen. Many people are American citizens, but only those born on US soil are eligable to become POTUS. This is in the constitution.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. If EITHER of your parents are American citizens then YOU are an American citizen regardless of where you were born. The serve as president one must be 35 and a US citizen.

2. THIS belongs in Politics.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SaxonPig
    1. If EITHER of your parents are American citizens then YOU are an American citizen regardless of where you were born. The serve as president one must be 35 and a US citizen.

2. THIS belongs in Politics.

WRONG, this is a Constitutional question moreso than political question.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I guess this topic will die. Too bad, would have been good for discussion. I guess if SP doesn't agree with it, it gets moved.

Especially since his answer showed that he did not understand the post - AT ALL.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Constitutional question...not a political one

Returning to General
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    Constitutional question...not a political one

Returning to General

Thank you very much!
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be a suicide mission for the Dems to attach McCain, a combat vet., a POW, and a 20+ year senator, to say he is not "American enough" for the presidency. I think you misinterpret the spirit of the law on this one, he is an American citizen, therefore eligible.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    It would be a suicide mission for the Dems to attach McCain, a combat vet., a POW, and a 20+ year senator, to say he is not "American enough" for the presidency. I think you misinterpret the spirit of the law on this one, he is an American citizen, therefore eligible.

My Indian co-worker is an American citizen, he was naturalized last December (and gave up his Indian citizenship), he moved here 15 years ago - is he eligable? If not, why not?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.

My Indian co-worker is an American citizen, he was naturalized last December (and gave up his Indian citizenship), he moved here 15 years ago - is he eligable? If not, why not?

Naturalized is the key, he was not born that way. If he raises a family here, possibly his grandchild could become President if I interpert the Constitution correctly. His parents would be Americans and he would be born American. His parents could not because their father was not a natural born American.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I disagree. It's regarding a CURRENT political candidate. That makes it POLITICAL in my book.

However, I will defer to my esteemed colleague moderating in Politics and send it to Constituional Law (although I don't know why he didn't send it there rather than back to GD if that's where he felt it belonged).

Bye bye.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SaxonPig
    I disagree. It's regarding a CURRENT political candidate. That makes it POLITICAL in my book.

However, I will defer to my esteemed colleague moderating in Politics and send it to Constituional Law (although I don't know why he didn't send it there rather than back to GD if that's where he felt it belonged).

Bye bye.

Gun Rights and Constitutional Law

Once again you are WRONG. The spirit of the board is that it relate to gun rights as written in the Constitution.
    Your thinking NEVER comes out of the box does it. You just can't leave well enough alone can you? Always gotta screw something up. [:(!]
    Now be sure to make a locked sticky telling this and that for all to see. Without an internet, oafish people would forever be minimized.
  • Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    OH,my!!!!
    stir-stir-stir
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    There is nothing in the Constitution that says a "natural born citizen" must be born on US soil. McCain was a US citizen at birth and, as such, is a "natural born citizen". Here is what the US Code says.

quote:Currently, Title 8 of the U.S. Code fills in those gaps. Section 1401 defines the following as people who are "citizens of the United States at birth:"

Anyone born inside the United States
    Any Indian or Eskimo born in the United States, provided being a citizen of the U.S. does not impair the person's status as a citizen of the tribe
    Any one born outside the United States, both of whose parents are citizens of the U.S., as long as one parent has lived in the U.S.
    Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year and the other parent is a U.S. national
    Any one born in a U.S. possession, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year
    Any one found in the U.S. under the age of five, whose parentage cannot be determined, as long as proof of non-citizenship is not provided by age 21
    Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is an alien and as long as the other parent is a citizen of the U.S. who lived in the U.S. for at least five years (with military and diplomatic service included in this time)
    A final, historical condition: a person born before 5/24/1934 of an alien father and a U.S. citizen mother who has lived in the U.S.
    Anyone falling into these categories is considered natural-born, and is eligible to run for President or Vice President. These provisions allow the children of military families to be considered natural-born, for example.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "No person, except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, AT THE TIME OF THE ADOPTION OF THE CONSTITUTION, shall be eligible to the office of the president"

I dont really see how the above clause from the constitution prohibits a foreign born person from becoming president. The clause seems pretty specific, dealing withrequirements that were specific to picking a president at the time of the inception of the united states.
    If the clause is literally taken, than NO ONE could be elected president today, because NO ONE alive today was a natural born citizen, or citizen of the United states, at the time of the adoption of the constitution.