In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NRA Nobody does it better

dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
Got real tired of the NRA good or bad thread so I am starting my own. Please don't post long requotes make the thread hard to read.

I can't imagine a Pro-gun organization that would do a better job.

I rarely disagree with the NRA's activities.

Would like to join an NRA sanctioned club.

I agree that some weapons should be restricted, controlled, banned whatever you want to call it. ie. RPG's, Gernades, Morters, 20mm and up rifles, machine guns, etc. 50 bmg is very close the the line for me.

I don't really know what the second ammendment means but I would like to keep the guns I have and would like to get more. Don't try to tell me what the second ammendment means, I can read as well or better than you and I have read a lot of the supporting and historical presedents.

If you think the govenment feels threatened by gun owners you are confused. NO Major Power Can Be Over Turned Solely By The Use Of Small Arms. Civil Disobediance, General Strike By Majority Of Service Providers, Power, Transportation, Water Works, Trash Collection that is real power. Hell if you just pull the plug on cable and satelite TV you could bring the government to its knees. Small Arms are a weak offensive tool.

Politicians support gun control because in their districts it brings them more votes than support for gun ownership. Politicians are followers, ie. poles and the numbers. Leaders are people with original thoughts and prefers not to worry about the numbers.

George W. Bush actually was a leader, a somewhat misguided leader.

John McCain is a leader, follows his own drummer, does that scare you?

The NRA "Leadership" are Politicians and that is what they are susposed to be, we want them to listen to us and do what we want them to do.

In our government the Congressmen should be Politicians and should represent the views of the people in their district. The Senators should be our concience and good judgement and temper the rashness of the House of Rep. The executive "Pres." should, needs to be a Leader.

Comments

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ROFLMAO

This is SOOOO far out there, that I feel it needs this warning already.

NO NAME CALLING.

No matter how deserved.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I say why bother at all. This one is waaay too far gone to do any good.

Gotta be a put up job to sucker someone in. Well, it is not gonna be me.[;)]
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    me either. i am not stepping into that bear trap.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I admire your enthusiasm, and your willingness to invite people to attack you. I used to do the same. The NRA is without doubt the biggest, strongest and best financed gun orgainziation in the world. But because it has made mistakes in the past, many people are anxious to trash the NRA. This even though there is no comparable organization ready, willing and able to take its place.

Just last week I spend some time studying the list of NRA members who were running for the board of directors. Each and everyone of them, based on their personal history, appeared to me to very much want to see American citizens keep their guns and for the people running for the board of directors to keep their guns also. I went ahead and voted for the 26 or so people that looked the best to me, but if some group of NRA members out there were not happy with the list of canadidates, there were spaces where they could have written in and voted for any NRA member they chose. To me that is a sign of a democratic organization that is open to change if people are willing to put out some effort instead of just standing back and throwing stones at the NRA.

Flaming starts in 2 minutes.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Though I've never been a member, all I've read about the NRA lately makes me wonder if they've ever supported the 2nd?
    Can anybody mention pro 2nd support from the NRA...ever? Or is that too painfull?
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    In the early 90's Marion Hammer, a female past president of the NRA and currently an active NRA member/supporter was the guiding force behind getting one of the very, very few CCW laws passed in the state of FLA. Her efforts spread to almost every other state in America and now all but 2 states, I believe, have some sort of CCW. I don't know about other states, but here in KS and MO it was basically the work of the NRA that got our CCW passed over overwhelming opposition.

Now I agree that having to obtain a CCW to carry a firearm is not the right way to interpet the 2A. But, it is still progress and without CCW we would not be carrying but would still be talking about it. So now that we have CCW, lets work towards changing things to where we don't need CCW to carry and in the meantime just go ahead and enjoy the rights we have.

As well as our Castle Doctrine law.

AS well as the firearm preemption law.

As well as the firearms emergency powers act.

As well as defeating the San Francisco gun ban.

As well as the Katrina firearms lawsuit.

As well as the firearm manufacturers protection act. (For anyone who doesn't understand why that also helped gun owners then you have no clue and we don't even need to talk about it)

I could go on and on but somebody will just come along and tear down whatever I build so why bother?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    In the early 90's Marion Hammer, a female past president of the NRA and currently an active NRA member/supporter was the guiding force behind getting one of the very, very few CCW laws passed in the state of FLA. Her efforts spread to almost every other state in America and now all but 2 states, I believe, have some sort of CCW. I don't know about other states, but here in KS and MO it was basically the work of the NRA that got our CCW passed over overwhelming opposition.

Now I agree that having to obtain a CCW to carry a firearm is not the right way to interpet the 2A. But, it is still progress and without CCW we would not be carrying but would still be talking about it. So now that we have CCW, lets work towards changing things to where we don't need CCW to carry and in the meantime just go ahead and enjoy the rights we have.

As well as our Castle Doctrine law.

AS well as the firearm preemption law.

As well as the firearms emergency powers act.

As well as defeating the San Francisco gun ban.

As well as the Katrina firearms lawsuit.

As well as the firearm manufacturers protection act. (For anyone who doesn't understand why that also helped gun owners then you have no clue and we don't even need to talk about it)

I could go on and on but somebody will just come along and tear down whatever I build so why bother?

Yes indeed!! We have a saying 1 wrong deletes 10,000 atta boys.[xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

And you agree with that saying? I have always used that saying to inform new hires that some people will treat them unfairly for their mistakes.

If a quarterback throw 3 touchdown passes and then later throws one interception does it wipe out the touchdown passes.

I try to stress. "The only person who has not made a mistake is someone who has not done anything.

I just wanted to express my support for the NRA on this board, too much NRA bashing.

Some people are way too negative.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dtknowles

[/quote]

And you agree with that saying? I have always used that saying to inform new hires that some people will treat them unfairly for their mistakes.

If a quarterback throw 3 touchdown passes and then later throws one interception does it wipe out the touchdown passes.

I try to stress. "The only person who has not made a mistake is someone who has not done anything.

I just wanted to express my support for the NRA on this board, too much NRA bashing.

Some people are way too negative.
    [/quote]

dtk what do you think this [xx(] means?
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1

I don't really know what the second ammendment means

That is certainly obvious.
    And your sentiments certainly illustrate why you have such blind support for the NRA.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    I have caught much flack for my ongoing statement that MOST people that currently support the NRA support gun control.

I rest my case on that.

The other angle I mention quite often is that gun owners that support gun control are a far deadlier enemy to freedom then ANY Kennedy/Fiendstein/Shumer that ever lived...at least those people are honest in their hatred of personal freedom.

The third plank of my platform is that we as Second Amendment supporters BETTER draw a bright, clear line between us and gun owners that are in reality anti-gun...because the children will grow up to believe their nonsense. In fact...non-gun owning ADULTS believe the nonsense put out by the NRA and their merry band of brothers..anti-gunners hunkered down in YOUR foxhole...shooting you in the back.

Join together ?

Thanks...no. I want no weak-kneed, go with the flow, I don't care what the Constitution says, I love the Beast types on my side.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I can't imagine a Pro-gun organization that would do a better job.

Better than what?? I would say there are a number of ways the NRA could improve, and one way would not be to concede anything. No longer compromise, because in a compromise, both parties lose something. It is not compromise when one side loses something, while the other side doesn't take it all in one sitting.

NO CONCESSIONS!!!

quote:I agree that some weapons should be restricted, controlled, banned whatever you want to call it. ie. RPG's, Gernades, Morters, 20mm and up rifles, machine guns, etc. 50 bmg is very close the the line for me.

Why do you believe this?? Because you're doing what you are polled to do??

Any of those things are suitable specifically for militias. I guess if you are a hobbyist shooter, this wouldn't bother you.... right up until you are face to face with the reason for the 2nd Amendment, which also has nothing to do with hobbies or hunting.

quote:I don't really know what the second ammendment means but I would like to keep the guns I have and would like to get more. Don't try to tell me what the second ammendment means, I can read as well or better than you and I have read a lot of the supporting and historical presedents.

Why did you even bother posting, then?? If you don't know what the 2nd Amendment means, and you don't want to know, then you are lost!!!

quote:If you think the govenment feels threatened by gun owners you are confused. NO Major Power Can Be Over Turned Solely By The Use Of Small Arms.

First of all:

anim_bs2.gif

Secondly:

It would be a whole lot easier to do with RPG's, Grenades, Mortars, 20mm and up rifles, and machine guns, now wouldn't it??

quote:Politicians support gun control because in their districts it brings them more votes than support for gun ownership. Politicians are followers, ie. poles and the numbers. Leaders are people with original thoughts and prefers not to worry about the numbers.

Gun kontrol was brought about by politicians, not by the people. people have bit the line, and are being reeled in. The only reason politicians support gun kontrol is because they have something in mind for you that they know they could never get away with if you had the ability to kill them.

quote:In our government the Congressmen should be Politicians and should represent the views of the people in their district.

Wrong!!!

No one should be given an audience when their sole point of perspective is to infringe on other people's rights... ever!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    ROFLMAO

This is SOOOO far out there, that I feel it needs this warning already.

NO NAME CALLING.

No matter how deserved.

[:D]...If it had not been for the warning...[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Quote: Gunphreak Posted - 03/09/2008 : 12:53:40 PM
    ______________________________________________________________________Why did you even bother posting, then?? If you don't know what the 2nd Amendment means, and you don't want to know, then you are lost!!!

quote: DTKNOWLES Posted
    If you think the govenment feels threatened by gun owners you are confused. NO Major Power Can Be Over Turned Solely By The Use Of Small Arms.

Quote Gunphreak Posted - 03/09/2008 : 12:53:40 PM
    First of all:

Secondly:

It would be a whole lot easier to do with RPG's, Grenades, Mortars, 20mm and up rifles, and machine guns, now wouldn't it??
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

If you had said weapons and were ready to use them to change our government how would that make you different than other terrorists
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Quote: Gunphreak Posted - 03/09/2008 : 12:53:40 PM
    ______________________________________________________________________Why did you even bother posting, then?? If you don't know what the 2nd Amendment means, and you don't want to know, then you are lost!!!

quote: DTKNOWLES Posted
    If you think the govenment feels threatened by gun owners you are confused. NO Major Power Can Be Over Turned Solely By The Use Of Small Arms.

Quote Gunphreak Posted - 03/09/2008 : 12:53:40 PM
    First of all:

Secondly:

___________________________________________________________________________________

If you had said weapons and were ready to use them to change our government how would that make you different than other terrorists

Good Lord!

How can any sane man respond to this?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:If you had said weapons and were ready to use them to change our government how would that make you different than other terrorists
    Do you have the slightest comprehension what the Second Amendment is all about ?
    Do you believe it has something to do with target shooting, quail hunting, or deer hunting ?

Try...try REALLY hard..to understand that the Founders were called terrorists by the authorities back then.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, Captain;

How could any sane man POST that ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496

Good Lord!

Getting close to getting suckered in?
    You terrorist you. [:0]

Still ROFLMAO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    quote:Originally posted by lt496

Good Lord!

Getting close to getting suckered in?
    You terrorist you. [:0]

Still ROFLMAO

Guilty as charged. I guess I lost my head, oops.[:I][:o)][:D]
  • Options
    dan55362dan55362 Member Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:If you had said weapons and were ready to use them to change our government how would that make you different than other terrorists

Do you think I give a $#!t that some Hitleresque tyrant would call me a terrorist???
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't try to tell me what the second ammendment means, I can read as well or better than you and I have read a lot of the supporting and historical presedents.

If you're going to say that you're smarter than me, you could at least spell precedents correctly....

At any rate, I challange you to start posting these "historical precedents" you cite. Post any quote from the founders (you know, those guys that actually wrote the Constitution instead of "interpreting" it) that supports your position.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rack ops

Sorry about the spelling, it is lazyness on my part. I am a poor speller and don't want to take the time to check and correct spelling.

I started this thread over on General Discussion and the statement about interpretation of the second ammendment was to avoid a well hashed subject but now it is moved over here where that is the major focus.

Sorry, I will not be roped into the discussion deliberaly said I would not join.

It was not meant to be a discussion about the second ammendment but about how I believe the NRA is the most effective pro-gun organization going and even likely to exist.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You specifically said that you've read the supporting and historical precedents regarding the 2nd Amendment.

All I asked is to detail which ones, in particular, shaped your viewpoint. I have yet to read a single quote from Jefferson, Madison, or Washington that supports government regulation of arms.

If you believe that you know better than the men that wrote and signed the Constitution, all you have to do is say so.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Id say without the NRA, the revolution would have already occured here because infringing on the rights of those a few generations older than we are, would have been a stupid mistake. Those were people who understood jury nullification (the reason the 18th Amendment crashed and burned), and I don't recall bootleggers bonding together to lobby CONgress to fix their stupid moves, either, and they did not need or want anyone else's "help".

Those people were much wiser, a whole lot braver, and most likely would not have stood for this stuff for long.

Just an observation...

The 1939 Miller case would have likely went a whole lot better for us, had Jack Miller not been murdered just prior to his day in court. Something suspicious about that, right there.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    You specifically said that you've read the supporting and historical precedents regarding the 2nd Amendment.

All I asked is to detail which ones, in particular, shaped your viewpoint. I have yet to read a single quote from Jefferson, Madison, or Washington that supports government regulation of arms.

If you believe that you know better than the men that wrote and signed the Constitution, all you have to do is say so.

Game, set match to you Rack.

Simple, direct and well done.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    gunphreak's assessment of this thread:

It was intentionally posted in a forum that has a very strong bent toward freedom. Someone tosses a pebble in the stream, hoping to disrupt it. Then, this comes out of his keyboard when those who keep watch over the stream ask him what he thinks he's doing:

quote:Sorry, I will not be roped into the discussion deliberaly said I would not join.

Conclusion: Don't feed the trolls.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunphreak
    gunphreak's assessment of this thread:

It was intentionally posted in a forum that has a very strong bent toward freedom. Someone tosses a pebble in the stream, hoping to disrupt it. Then, this comes out of his keyboard when those who keep watch over the stream ask him what he thinks he's doing:

quote:Sorry, I will not be roped into the discussion deliberaly said I would not join.

Conclusion: Don't feed the trolls.

You noticed that too.
    Hmmmmm............
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh well, sometimes I just can't help myself...

Anyone who's been around me long enough knows I have trouble keeping my thoughts to myself [:)]
  • Options
    mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    http://www.dojgov.net/Liberty_Watch.htm

Quotes from the Founding Fathers

"Any people that would give up liberty for a little temporary safety deserves neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquence. It is force. And force, like fire, is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." George Washington

"We must all hang together, or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately." Benjamin Franklin at the signing of the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

ALEXANDER HAMILTON

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

JAMES MADISON

"Americans [have] the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust their people with arms."

SAMUEL ADAMS

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms . . ."

NOAH WEBSTER

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive."

TENCHE COXE

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American...[T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

RICHARD HENRY LEE

"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves ... and include all men capable of bearing arms."

Richard Henry Lee - Senator, First Congress

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."

ELBRIDGE GERRY

"Whenever governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins."

GEORGE WASHINGTON

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that is good."

PATRICK HENRY

"The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"

March 23, 1775:

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a moneyed aristocracy that has set the government at defiance. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." Thomas Jefferson

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." Thomas Jefferson

"A generous parent would have said, 'if there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." Thomas Paine, Common Sense

"Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it." John Adams

"We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our selection between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude. If we run into such debts as that we must be taxed in our meat in our drink, in our necessities and comforts, in our labors and in our amusements, for our callings and our creeds...our people.. must come to labor sixteen hours in the twenty-four, give earnings of fifteen of these to the government for their debts and daily expenses; and the sixteenth being insufficient to afford us bread, we must live.. We have not time to think, no means of calling the mis-managers to account, but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow suffers. Our landholders, too...retaining indeed the title and stewardship of estates called theirs, but held really in trust for the treasury, must...be contented with penury, obscurity and exile.. private fortunes are destroyed by public as well as by private extravagance.

This is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle becomes a precedent for a second; that second for a third; and so on, till the bulk of society is reduced to mere automatons of misery, to have no sensibilities left but for sinning and suffering... And the fore horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that, and in it's train wretchedness and oppression." Thomas Jefferson

"If the present (Continental) Congress errs in too much talking, how can it be otherwise, in a body to which the people send one hundred and fifty lawyers, whose trade it is to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour?" Thomas Jefferson -

A few good quotes.[:)]
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    quote:I don't really know what the second ammendment means

No kidding?!?

Pickenup, good call on the "first" response.[8D]