In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NRA membership and Club Membership

chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
I have recently joined a club here in Raleigh, NC. I initially joined the NRA when I petitioned for membership. I did not really think anything of it since I grew up with the NRA all around me in my foster home.

Now you guys are getting to me and I am rather rueful of my decision to shell out for the 5 year membership. I have always viewed my guns as the last resort check and balance against tyranny. Now, that I have had a chance to have a "reasoned and intelligent" [:p] discourse here and with some other friends, I find myself re-evaluating what that belief actually means to me. When I was on the other side of the straight and narrow I was always armed at least as good as any LE since that was most likely what I would be up against. Now that I am no longer part of that element, I see that the most likely thing I am liable to be up against is something in the guise of LE acting on the behalf of something claiming to be my lawful government. I would rather fight with words and just have a bunch of stuff sitting around that I never use but that might not be the way things happen.

I think one of my first rabble rousing acts as a new member of my club is going to be a push for organizations like the GOA to be accepted in lieu of NRA membership. We do get a lot of money in the form of grants and such from the NRA but bread and circuses is no reason not to take a stand. I am sort of feeling like I did when I was a teenager and I realized that the song "I'm Just a Bill" was not really telling me the whole story. A little foolish, slowly turning to anger.

Comments

• Old IronsightsOld Ironsights Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chaoslodge...I think one of my first rabble rousing acts as a new member of my club is going to be a push for organizations like the GOA to be accepted in lieu of NRA membership. We do get a lot of money in the form of grants and such from the NRA but bread and circuses is no reason not to take a stand. I am sort of feeling like I did when I was a teenager and I realized that the song "I'm Just a Bill" was not really telling me the whole story. A little foolish, slowly turning to anger.
    My "club" was Chartered by the NRA back in the 20s as a Small Bore Rifle Team Club.

Unfortunately, the guys running it are largely all relics of that time ad also make NRA membership mandatory (not that it mattered because I'm a long ago paid-up Lifer).

But as the Coots on the Executive Board die off and we get more Young Guys with their Glocks & "EBRs" running things (over the Shotties & Cowboys) I think we will get GOA/SAF/JPFO also included as well.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Chaos;

Thank you for looking beyond the abrasive behaviour of certain people..(well...me) and looking the thing squarely in the eye.

You may well attempt to change the club..but my advice..worth what It cost, I know...is to not push the issue to the point of being expelled from the club.

Being proficient with firearms is more important then the principle, at this stage of the game.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Chaos,
    I would have to agree with Highball.

Expect to be met with disgust when you mention your idea. As you can see from the NRA debates, those that are firm in their belief (disillusion?) will not willingly accept another (lesser) gun organization.

As Highball said, don't push the issue to much, least you may be booted from member rolls.
  • chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. Don't think I will be raising hell just yet. My first priority is shooting and fixing up part of the land that we are not using so we can camp. I am also taking an RSO course this weekend so I can volunteer with the Boyscouts merit badge program we run. That is a great time and my son, age 7, also participates. (I have posted his picture on other threads)

Now just because I happen to be having an epiphany with your assistance does not mean we are friends. I am really only here to argue and write run on sentences.[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:having an epiphany
    Take one .357 and 100 rounds of ammo to the range...and talk to me tomorrow.][:D]
    edited November -1
    chaoslodge...I almost got a bit misty eyed when I saw that you were opening up your eyes and questioning things.[:o)][:D][;)]

Seriously, it really is good to see someone who is starting to take a hard look at things. Somehow it makes all the arguing and impassioned speech worthwhile.

I will try not to pontificate, or philosophize to you anymore...note that I said try.[:o)]
    edited November -1
    Don't get the idea I am not someone who does not question things. I spent most of my adult life around anti-gunners and vegetarians constantly challenging their positions. I was probably one of the few Dead Heads that always had a firearm in the VW bus on every parking lot I ever hit while touring. I question everything. Hell I will sit and question a thermos full of soup. I just had not gotten around to questioning the NRA yet in this regard.

I have yet to encounter anything in this existence that is black and white so I have accepted and indeed thrive in the gray areas. By their nature, gray areas need to be constantly questioned sort of like constantly and vigilantly guarding our rights. If I ever do encounter something that can be called absolute, I am going to step on it before anyone else sees it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chaoslodge
    Don't get the idea I am not someone who does not question things. I spent most of my adult life around anti-gunners and vegetarians constantly challenging their positions. I was probably one of the few Dead Heads that always had a firearm in the VW bus on every parking lot I ever hit while touring. I question everything. Hell I will sit and question a thermos full of soup. I just had not gotten around to questioning the NRA yet in this regard.

I have yet to encounter anything in this existence that is black and white so I have accepted and indeed thrive in the gray areas. By their nature, gray areas need to be constantly questioned sort of like constantly and vigilantly guarding our rights. If I ever do encounter something that can be called absolute, I am going to step on it before anyone else sees it.

I was merely referring to the subjects posted on...the NRA and Amendment II, not your general make-up.

I still got a little misty regardless.[:o)]
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    chaos,
    I have been working on the clubs around here, just as you propose doing with your new one. Can't say that I have made much headway, but it is a slow process. I knew it would be.

Kind of like members here on the forum. "Some" never even thought to question the NRA, until presented with a reason to. Can't hit them with too much information, too quick, or you will run up against a proverbial brick wall.

Good luck with getting the ground "camp" ready, and the RSO class. Is your son working on the merit badges?

I will head your warning, we are not friends.
    At times, allies are a good thing to have. [;)]
    edited November -1
    I have read enough of his stuff to know we quite possible disagree on more then we agree.

That being said..I would share a foxhole with a man that I KNOW will be shooting THAT way..rather then a squishy-not-too-sure type that just might turn the gun on me...even IF we fight every day about every thing else.

Besides..a good argument is fun. As long as it doesn't involve the other fellow agitating to take my Rights away.
    edited November -1
    ...thought from a reasonable man who can think for himself.

When I first came to GB, I did not clearly understand the issue either...I was told to wake up...open my eyes, and think for myself. I did and I no longer support the NRA.
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    While I have my own bones to pick with the NRA ,I have even a stronger one to pick with people that petition for membership in a gun club and then want to change the rules .
    There have been many postings on this board about what the NRA
    does right and wrong .
    The one thing they do right is help the gun clubs with their programs .

Our club has 375 members and has appr. 15 different disciplines +keeping a range for the National Guard And security training .
    After you are a member for a while you may find out that the name of the game is money .
    We need it to keep the range open .
    I found this out after becoming vice-president of shotgun sports .
    A great job !( keeping targets bought ,machinery repaired ,finding the best price on shells for the scholastic trap program ,and on and on .
    I do not know about your club ,but I guess they are pretty much the same .
    So :here is the deal .
    #1-- grants
    NRA supplies our club with apprx. 3500.00 per year for youth programs(scholastic trap,air rifle ,smallbore etc.
    We have an NRA banquet every year in order to raise funds for these sports .

As adults , we can take care of our own fees ,but the kids are a different story .
    Every year :
    Kids to Camp Perry ---2000.00
    Kids air rifle
    scholastic trap

#2 NRA membership
    35.00 per member per year .
    NRA rebates 5.00 to club for each member renewing through the club .
    5.00 for each yearly member (275)=1375.00

#3 Insurance . No need to explain .

All gun clubs have the same problem : not enough people helping with the work .
    But the load would be lighter if we all shared the same load .

If you do not want to be a member of the NRA ,I have no problem with that (as I said I have my own problems with them .)
    But when it comes to my time and my money I take offense to holier than thou attitudes .
    After reading yuor post of 3\13\08 I have had to think about what I would say if someone came to me with this problem .
    My advice would be to resign from the club If you truly cannot take on part of the burden .
    Otherwise you are only showing contempt for the other members and their contributions .
    What I am saying is have the strength of your convictions .
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007
    While I have my own bones to pick with the NRA ,I have even a stronger one to pick with people that petition for membership in a gun club and then want to change the rules .
    There have been many postings on this board about what the NRA
    does right and wrong .
    The one thing they do right is help the gun clubs with their programs .

From my limited observation I agree. The NRA supports the club I have just joined with all sorts of grants. Politically they are not supporting what I see as the real meaning behind the 2nd but they are doing a lot for other aspects of the gun sports. I do sometimes wonder if it is a bit like the things that Hamas and the Mob do for their immediate neighbors.

I will probably keep my NRA membership and * about their politics to whomever will listen. I will also throw my support behind the GOA since they seem to be the ones with their eyes on the sparrow.

I am not sure how I am going to work the GOA logo into my signature graphics though,......[:p]
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    Everybody seems to realize that we need all shooters organized to fight crazy politicians .
    If you really want to * at someone ,go to the gunshows and other venues and rip the NRA state rep. a new one .
    The one in Alabama hates to see me coming .
    Also the GOA and other groups need to come to local gun clubs and
    shows and get to know local shooters .
    We would love to have their input , just as they need ours .