In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun rights and out of state misdemeanors

3_47Inf3_47Inf Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
We were talking at the range over the weekend, and we got into a hefty discussion about misdemeanors and gun rights. One guy swears that if you get a misdemeanor in one state that prevents you from owning a gun in that state, it applies to all states. I doubted that a state punishment would carry over to other states.

Can anyone help shed some light on this? This is the first I have ever heard of this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Aaron.Combs1Aaron.Combs1 Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to my knowledge it does not. every state is able to make its own laws, and a law if violated in one state, then i do not believe that it will hold much merrit in another. HOWEVER there are some misdemeanors that can prevent you from owning a weapon. i will not go though them all, but a look at your states laws and statues will be able to tell you want you need to know.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    State laws only apply to the states that make them.

One or more States may have identical laws/ simular laws.

However read the 4473 on the gun application. SOME misdemeanors will bar you from owning weapons, such as "Domestic violence".

Anything inwhich you can be imprisoned a year or more, don't fill out a 4473, as you MAY be commiting a felony.
  • 3_47Inf3_47Inf Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is what I thought too and thus my reason for asking. I am not a lawyer so I wanted to ask in a respectable place for the lawyer types to teach me something here.