In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shoulder-stocked pistols - Legal?

trees4trees4 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
I am considering an Inglis Browning Hi-Power that is being sold with a shoulder-stock. The seller has suggested that it would not be legal to attach the shoulder stock, but it is OK to have them together. Or, if I pay the $200 transfer tax, I could assemble them and use the system as a carbine. What is the real law about this?

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trees- you really need to check on this one with the ATF, and with your state. In MOST cases, just HAVING the shoulder stock AND the weapon rates as possession of an SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) HOWEVER- I dimly remember some exception being made for Hi-Powers, Lugers and Broomhandles that were ORIGINALLY made to accept a shoulder stock. But for pity's sake, don't take my word on this.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the BATF FAQ site.....

quote:(M24) If a person has a pistol and an attachable shoulder stock, does this constitute possession of an NFA firearm?

Yes, unless the barrel of the pistol is at least 16 inches in length (and the overall length of the firearm with stock attached is at least 26 inches). However, certain stocked handguns, such as original semiautomatic Mauser "Broomhandles" and Lugers, have been removed from the purview of the NFA as collectors' items.
    Don't see anything about Brownings.....
    You might want to take 11b6r's advice, and contact the BATF.
    Document EVERYTHING from the BATF.
    Have them put it in writing, get the name of the agent, etc.
  • Options
    trees4trees4 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pickenup,

Check on INGLIS.

A friend at a local gunshop gave me a copy out of the BATF book that specifically lists the INGLIS as being on the C&R list, Therefore, if I have the original "made in Canada" stock, it's supposed to be an exception to the rule.

Now I guess I need to find out how to know if it is an original stock!

Mine looks right to me, but I'm not an expert on these things.

Anybody got pics of the real thing?