In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Can I buy gun?

physicistphysicist Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
Hi there,

I am european scientist, working for well-known private university at PA. I am not US citizen. Can I legally buy handgun for my protection? I live in violent part of state, at Philly. My wife is getting scared of crime prone minorities selling drugs and girls in my neighborhood. I don't want to wait before something happens to my family. I wish I would be able to protect our house. I am legal alien, paying taxes and everything, with drivers license and my university ID.


  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,845 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the BATF FAQ website....

    quote:(B13) May aliens legally in the United States buy firearms?

    An alien legally in the U.S. may acquire firearms if he has a State of residence. An alien has a State of residence only if he is residing in that State and has resided in a State continuously for at least 90 days prior to the purchase. An alien acquiring firearms from a licensee is required to prove both his identity, by presenting a government-issued photo identification, and his residency with substantiating documentation showing that he has resided in the State continuously for the 90-day period prior to the purchase. Examples of qualifying documentation to prove residency include: utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements, and pay stubs from the purchaser's place of employment, if such documents include residential addresses.

    See also Item 5, "Sales to Aliens in the United States," in the General Information section of this publication.
  • kiwibird1kiwibird1 Member Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    yes, and i would imagine that the 90 days would be because a visitos visa such as is issued if you are going to another country for a holiday is valid for only 90 days, so it makes sense that you should have to prove residency.
Sign In or Register to comment.