In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Unconstitutional Police Action

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
DC Police to set up military style checkpoints, check identification (show me you papers please), search cars if they "suspect" guns and drugs are present and will arrest people who "do not cooperate".

They will deny access to certain area if the "reason" given for wanting to travel their does not meet police approval.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/04/AR2008060402205_pf.html

Rant on........

Our aggregate knowledge of constitutional principals is at an all-time low. All three branches of government are in collusion to erode personal liberties.

What is steadily and systematically being foisted upon America is obvious for anyone to see, but to "see" requires knowledge of and an understanding of our founding principals and of our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Incrementalism at its finest, being fueled by "Collectivism" and facilitated by the ignorant, stupid and apathetic.

Now, does anyone here not see an increasing totalitarianism at play here in America?

ANSWER: Few can be bothered to focus on it, or understand what they are seeing.

Does anyone care?

ANSWER: Not many do and even fewer even get it.

Will America act to stop this?

ANSWER: No a chance in hell.

Things that would have caused a revolt 50 + years ago are now routinely accepted. As acceptance increases, government oppression increases.

Wake up.

Rant off......

Comments

• Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Starting on Saturday, officers will check drivers' identification and ask whether they have a "legitimate purpose" to be in the Trinidad area, such as going to a doctor or church or visiting friends or relatives. If not, the drivers will be turned away

Where have we heard this before?

"In certain areas, we need to go beyond the normal methods of policing(like circumventing the Constitution)," Fenty (D) said at a news conference announcing the action. "We're going to go into an area and completely shut it down to prevent shootings and the sale of drugs."

Police will search cars if they suspect the presence of guns or drugs, and will arrest people who do not cooperate, under a charge of failure to obey a police officer, officials said.

"If"? My gut tells me they will assume every vehicle contains firearms and/or drugs.

"We have to try to take away the things that are facilitating the ability to commit crime," D.C. Police Chief Lanier said

I can think of nothing that facilitates crime any more than stripping the citizens of their right to arms.

One of Lanier's plans, the Safe Homes initiative, has yet to get off the ground because of a community backlash. The plan, announced by Lanier and Fenty at a news conference in March, called for police to go door-to-door in crime-ridden areas and ask residents whether they could go inside and search for guns.

Crime-ridden areas now, other areas later. If the resident says no? Look back at paragraph #3, and I quote, "...and will arrest people who do not cooperate, under a charge of failure to obey a police officer."

Residents and some council members voiced concerns that homeowners would feel intimidated by police. Lanier backed off, but said she plans to move forward soon by having residents call police to set up appointments

Voluntary or mandatory? Once again, refer to the statement in paragraph #3.

Council member Harry Thomas Jr. (D-Ward 5), who represents Trinidad and other parts of Northeast Washington, said he had informal discussions with Lanier in which she had mentioned the possibility of the checkpoint announced yesterday, but he got little notice before the news conference. Civil liberties are always a concern, said Thomas, who maintained that residents are so concerned about violence that they will be willing to give the latest program a try.

Liberty for security. Nope, I'll pass. They will be willing, or they will be forced?

"I think the general consensus is that we have to do something because people live in fear," he said. "What would you rather have?" he asked. "A positive pattern of [police] checking things . . . or these folks who come into the community and wreak havoc?"

How about this option Mr. Thomas; Restore the citizen's rights that were ILLEGALLY taken from them by D.C.

Folks, If this does not open your eyes, then nothing will. Even a blind man can see this is in direct contradiction to the Bill of Rights. For those of you who think it will only happen in D.C., you need to get your heads out of the sand. We are governed by traitors.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's very sad-and scary. From the Patriot Act to the confiscation of firearms owned lawfully during Katrina, we are slowly but surely nailing the coffin shut on our liberties. It's going to be a long 4 years and we need to get on the ball about electing folks who follow the Constitution--instead of dream up ways to circumvent it. More and more we hear about LEO's in this country who have become nothing more than thugs themselves so I wouldn't expect many of them to give a darn about your or my 2nd Amendment rights when they have been given orders to do something. Maybe it's because todays criminal has changed from the ones 20 years ago or the Upper Brass has changed but many dept's have units that operate like they are above the law or resemble a para military unit more than peace officers. I don't expect LEO's to be Barney Fife but at the same time I don't belive they should be Barney Badass either. They are professionals and some of them need to act like it.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When will Fenty be tried for treason??? This is getting old...
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sadly, both parties have too many of these "dipsticks".
    "Greater good" and "for the children" make me shudder.