In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Constitution has no party affiliation. An idea

Mk23Mk23 Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
The more I talk to people from either party, the more it seems that the voting public are more similar than they are different. This is the way it seems to be:

The Liberals think the Republican party tramples the constitution more than the Democratic party.

The Conservatives think the Democratic party tramples the constitution more than the Republican party.

The Libertarians think they all trample the constitution equally.

Given that our government is composed of elected REPRESENTATIVES, there must be a way to hold them accountable, and of course, the best way to do that is through the people, rather than the government.

Every Senator must swear an oath.

'I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.'

While the 1st amendment guarantees them to right to speak whatever they want regarding any subject without criminal prosecution, they are Representatives, and therefore EMPLOYEES of the people. And the oath that they swear can certainly be considered to be conditions of employment.

In a speech dated from July 2001, Senator Tom McClintock described fellow Senator Sheila Kuehl as stating the following.

'The only constitutional right which is absolute is your right to believe anything you want. Other than that, the government has the ability to say on behalf of all the people.'

While that statement is not CRIMINAL under the 1st amendment (as much as I'd like for it to be), that statement clearly goes contrary to the oath that the Senator must have sworn prior to assuming the office, and therefore constitutes a violation of the conditions of employment.

I think this is a concept that a fairly useful grass roots campaign can be based upon. Catching senators making unconstitutional statements and actions, and publicizing that they are violating the terms of their employment with the people. And the best part is, that this kind of campaign will have support from all sides of the political fence.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mk23
    The more I talk to people from either party, the more it seems that the voting public are more similar than they are different. This is the way it seems to be:

The Liberals think the Republican party tramples the constitution more than the Democratic party.

The Conservatives think the Democratic party tramples the constitution more than the Republican party.

The Libertarians think they all trample the constitution equally.

Given that our government is composed of elected REPRESENTATIVES, there must be a way to hold them accountable, and of course, the best way to do that is through the people, rather than the government.

Every Senator must swear an oath.

'I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.'

While the 1st amendment guarantees them to right to speak whatever they want regarding any subject without criminal prosecution, they are Representatives, and therefore EMPLOYEES of the people. And the oath that they swear can certainly be considered to be conditions of employment.

In a speech dated from July 2001, Senator Tom McClintock described fellow Senator Sheila Kuehl as stating the following.

'The only constitutional right which is absolute is your right to believe anything you want. Other than that, the government has the ability to say on behalf of all the people.'

While that statement is not CRIMINAL under the 1st amendment (as much as I'd like for it to be), that statement clearly goes contrary to the oath that the Senator must have sworn prior to assuming the office, and therefore constitutes a violation of the conditions of employment.

I think this is a concept that a fairly useful grass roots campaign can be based upon. Catching senators making unconstitutional statements and actions, and publicizing that they are violating the terms of their employment with the people. And the best part is, that this kind of campaign will have support from all sides of the political fence.

The "concept" that would be useful, BUT most people either don't know what the Constitution says OR what it means and the remainder don't care.

All three branches of the Federal Government have been violating the Constitution for many, many years.

Nobody cares.

Good thought....theoretically should work.....BUT it won't even be considered by the New Americans.

Most who bother to even consider The Constitution in the first place either don't understand it, or feel it is outdated and not applicable in the New America.
  • Options
    Mk23Mk23 Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's the best part about publicizing it. You teach people about the constitution while making politicians look like corrupt pr!cks in the process, and that's something I think every American loves to see.

Publicity and presentation are how these people got all their support. I'd like to think some of us are capable of using these same tools.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tom McClintock is a towering Patriot among quisling mental midgets. I have supported him for years, yet I don't understand how he and Duncan Hunter can still tolerate representing the once-great, yet now decaying, kingdom of Kalifornia.

I believe that there are typically two types of politicians: the ones who believe they should represent their consituents, even if those views are contrary to their own, and the ones who believe the fact that they were elected gives them a mandate to pursue their own views and motives, even if they are contrary to the views of their constituents.

Partisan politics have indeed served to destroy much of what the Founding Fathers had hoped to build in our nation. George Washington recognized this while our nation was in its earliest infancy. In his farewell address, he warned the People of the dangers of both partisan factionalism and foreign alliances, both of which we have failed to avoid and are now paying dearly for that oversight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington's_Farewell_Address