In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.50 cal. Ban Coming To A State Near You.

MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
quote:New Jersey Assembly Committee Passes Gun Ban!

Please Contact Your Assemblymembers Today!

Today, Thursday, June 12, the New Jersey Assembly Judiciary Committee passed A2116 by a vote of 5-1.

As passed, the legislation will ban virtually all firearms over .50 caliber. While the Committee attempted to address some of the concerns of gun owners and sportsmen, it still bans many popular hunting guns, historical American firearms, and large bore target firearms, based on alleged public safety concerns. Included are historical American firearms and replicas, including those from the Revolutionary War and Civil War eras. The legislation makes the fundamental mistake of banning guns based on the size of the barrel rather than punishing criminal behavior.

Proponents of the ban attempted to demonize a whole class of firearms and their owners by claiming the only intent of these firearms is criminal misuse.

It is New Jersey so we shouldn't be surprised. The slow erosion of liberty marches on...

Comments

• Options
    Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    Its already here in IL. I hate this place
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by d_tierne1

This is what I wrote to my Assemblyman:

Dear Mr. Moriarty:

Today, the New Jersey Assembly Judiciary Committee passed A2116 banning firearms of .50 caliber or more. While there are exceptions to the proposed bill, it is
    entirely unnecessary and a further infringement on the right to keep and bear arms. Mr. Moriarty, why do we continue to strip freedoms away from law abiding citizens
    and not just more zealously enforce already existing laws against criminal behavior? Murder, assault, and robbery, etc. are already against the law and using a gun
    is aggravating in any circumstance.

As a law abiding citizen, I will follow the law and not buy these firearms. I am not the problem however, but the law treats me as if I am.

On a more practical note, this law and the lists of banned firearms seem to be written by people who know little or nothing about firearms. While banning a .50 caliber
    rifle may sound helpful, it is not. There are weapons that shoot powerful .454 cal and .45 cal ammunition, the difference being .05" in diameter. A .300 WSM hunting rifle, while having a smaller diameter bullet can be an extraordinarily powerful, long range weapon as can a .30-.30 or .308 cal. Trying to legislate by gun type and scariness of a particular firearm is a fool's errand. The size of the round is only a small part of the equation.

Mr. Moriarty, I have been a long time resident and businessman in South Jersey and have always liked it here. Between foolishly arcane and burdensome gun laws as well as the rapidly growing tax burden and a state budget that has grown by 50% in the last 6 years, it seems that the governor and legislature are determined to push as many law abiding and productive citizens as possible out of the state.

Please take a small step toward sanity and less regulation, vote against A2116.

Respectfully,
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Matchshot
    quote:Originally posted by d_tierne1

This is what I wrote to my Assemblyman:

Dear Mr. Moriarty:

Today, the New Jersey Assembly Judiciary Committee passed A2116 banning firearms of .50 caliber or more. While there are exceptions to the proposed bill, it is
    entirely unnecessary and a further infringement on the right to keep and bear arms. Mr. Moriarty, why do we continue to strip freedoms away from law abiding citizens
    and not just more zealously enforce already existing laws against criminal behavior? Murder, assault, and robbery, etc. are already against the law and using a gun
    is aggravating in any circumstance.

As a law abiding citizen, I will follow the law and not buy these firearms. I am not the problem however, but the law treats me as if I am.

On a more practical note, this law and the lists of banned firearms seem to be written by people who know little or nothing about firearms. While banning a .50 caliber
    rifle may sound helpful, it is not. There are weapons that shoot powerful .454 cal and .45 cal ammunition, the difference being .05" in diameter. A .300 WSM hunting rifle, while having a smaller diameter bullet can be an extraordinarily powerful, long range weapon as can a .30-.30 or .308 cal. Trying to legislate by gun type and scariness of a particular firearm is a fool's errand. The size of the round is only a small part of the equation.

Mr. Moriarty, I have been a long time resident and businessman in South Jersey and have always liked it here. Between foolishly arcane and burdensome gun laws as well as the rapidly growing tax burden and a state budget that has grown by 50% in the last 6 years, it seems that the governor and legislature are determined to push as many law abiding and productive citizens as possible out of the state.

Please take a small step toward sanity and less regulation, vote against A2116.

Respectfully,

Ok.

It is new to me that a 30-30 is considered "long range".
    Where was the mention of 50 cal. muzzel loaders? What makes these any less effective?

Good letter, although I belive the 30-30 comment was misguided.
  • Options
    mike992mike992 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They tryed this not to long ago in NY, but Gov. Pataki shot it down because it outlawed all .50 cal guns. He also shot down a law making blaze orange mandatory for hunting because the idiots who wrote the law would have made it mandatory to wear blaze orange whether your hunting during gun season or bow season. Shows you what happens when people who know nothing about a topic want to dictate to the rest of us.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Ok.

It is new to me that a 30-30 is considered "long range".
    Where was the mention of 50 cal. muzzel loaders? What makes these any less effective?

Good letter, although I belive the 30-30 comment was misguided.

Point taken about the .30-.30. My point to the assemblyman is that banning a specific caliber is foolish and non productive. Since he doesn't know the difference between a .50 cal and a shotgun, the finer points of ballistics and weapon choice are somewhat lost on him.

Initially, this bill banned ALL .50 cal, including ALL muzzleloaders. Our governor would probably sign it because he is a former Wall Street banker whose only contact with the outdoors is from the apartment to the limo and food comes from a gourmet caterer on the other side of town....

The muzzleloader wording has been taken out, but it is still a foolish law. I hate what this state is becoming.
  • Options
    denjaskdenjask Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder if pointing out the effectivness of other calibers is prudent. It will only add them to the list the gun banners want to outlaw.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as I know, there is no ban in Illinois as of yet. They are still trying to get it passed. Do not know what will happen with all the .50 cal. and above muzzeloaders and 12 guage slug guns with rifles barrels. Somebody seems to have forgotten that deer hunting is a multi-million dollar business in this state. They also ignore the fact that a .50 cal. rifle is probably the LEAST likely thing to ever kill anyone.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    As far as I know, there is no ban in Illinois as of yet. They are still trying to get it passed. Do not know what will happen with all the .50 cal. and above muzzeloaders and 12 guage slug guns with rifles barrels. Somebody seems to have forgotten that deer hunting is a multi-million dollar business in this state. They also ignore the fact that a .50 cal. rifle is probably the LEAST likely thing to ever kill anyone.

They say they are worried about the .50 BMG being use to down airliners. This is yet another way to take guns out of the hands of citizens.
  • Options
    hslaterprycehslaterpryce Member Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I read it right it says all calibers OVER .50 caliber. That would mean then that .50 caliber would NOT be banned. Correct?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hslaterpryce
    If I read it right it says all calibers OVER .50 caliber. That would mean then that .50 caliber would NOT be banned. Correct?

Actually, the bill reads .50 cal. and over. The summation you read in the beginning was incorrect. This is the reason everyone was upset, it included .50cal muzzleloaders in it.
  • Options
    hslaterprycehslaterpryce Member Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the correction Matchshot!
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    crazy politicians. .