In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

D.C. vs. Heller

wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
  • Options
    RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Nope.

The word is out and WE CAN KEEP OUR GUNS!!!
  • Options
    xericoxerico Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RogueStatesman
    Nope.

For now. This judgement is exactly as I feared. The horrible D.C. law was ruled unconstitutional. However, the decision made it clear that a more "reasonable" law would have passed.

One quote, from Yahoo News, that truly worries me is...
    Justice Stephen Breyer wrote a separate dissent in which he said, "In my view, there simply is no untouchable constitutional right guaranteed by the Second Amendment to keep loaded handguns in the house in crime-ridden urban areas."

In this one statement, Justice Breyer made clear that the 2nd Amendment is not an untouchable right.

Everyone that thinks this a "win" is only looking at the battle. The war is in serious jeopardy.

The Stupid American Citizen is one who is okay with the government deciding who has a "right" and who doesn't have a "right".

If the Republic of the United States crumbled tomorrow, and replaced by a dictator who made sweeping changes to law that prohibited the private ownership of all weapons (knives, clubs, guns, etc). Would I still have the "right" to keep a weapon? Or is simply against the "law"?

My "right" to keep a weapon is given to me by the laws of God who has given me the ability to use tools and think on a level unknown to any of God's lesser creatures.

The Father's of the United States believed in this. It is a damned shame that years of prosperity and complacency have eroded this belief in our leaders, our judges, our legislature and our people.

It is NOT the place of any government on this earth to "permit" me to have my rights.

Today, freed felons and the mentally ill are denied their "natural right" to keep and bear a firearm. The stupid American Citizen thinks this is fine because felons are bad people and the mentally ill are not to be trusted. If I am not a felon or a mentally ill person, why should I care if their rights are denied them? As long as I can keep my guns, those that lose their rights get their just due, right?

The reason the stupid American Citizen should care lies immediately before them in the act of deciding who loses a right and under what circumstance. Right now it is felons and the mentally ill. Tomorrow it could be those convicted of a misdemenor. Why should I care since I have never been arrested? As long as I can keep my guns, those that lose their rights get their just due, right?

The next day, those that get speeding tickets or parking tickets lose their rights to own a gun. How can they be trusted with a gun if they cannot be trusted to follow the rules of the road? As long as I can keep my guns, those that lose their rights get their just due, right?

These may all seem like unlikely scenarios to you. However, just remember that 100 years ago, the thought that the government could take away your right to own a gun was just as unlikely.

If you give the government the power to take away the rights of free men and women who meet a certain criteria, then you created a precedent by which future governments led by people with worse intents can exploit for their own nefarious purposes.

This may not happen in my lifetime or yours, but it will happen in the lifetime's of one of our descendents. I pray to God that it happens in my lifetime so that I can have a part in correcting that mistake so that my children or my children's children do not have to.

Xerico
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope.

Obviously, you have some reading and comprehension issues.
  • Options
    kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by xerico
    Nope.

For now. This judgement is exactly as I feared. The horrible D.C. law was ruled unconstitutional. However, the decision made it clear that a more "reasonable" law would have passed.

One quote, from Yahoo News, that truly worries me is...
    Justice Stephen Breyer wrote a separate dissent in which he said, "In my view, there simply is no untouchable constitutional right guaranteed by the Second Amendment to keep loaded handguns in the house in crime-ridden urban areas."

In this one statement, Justice Breyer made clear that the 2nd Amendment is not an untouchable right.

Everyone that thinks this a "win" is only looking at the battle. The war is in serious jeopardy.

The Stupid American Citizen is one who is okay with the government deciding who has a "right" and who doesn't have a "right".

If the Republic of the United States crumbled tomorrow, and replaced by a dictator who made sweeping changes to law that prohibited the private ownership of all weapons (knives, clubs, guns, etc). Would I still have the "right" to keep a weapon? Or is simply against the "law"?

My "right" to keep a weapon is given to me by the laws of God who has given me the ability to use tools and think on a level unknown to any of God's lesser creatures.

The Father's of the United States believed in this. It is a damned shame that years of prosperity and complacency have eroded this belief in our leaders, our judges, our legislature and our people.

It is NOT the place of any government on this earth to "permit" me to have my rights.

Today, freed felons and the mentally ill are denied their "natural right" to keep and bear a firearm. The stupid American Citizen thinks this is fine because felons are bad people and the mentally ill are not to be trusted. If I am not a felon or a mentally ill person, why should I care if their rights are denied them? As long as I can keep my guns, those that lose their rights get their just due, right?

The reason the stupid American Citizen should care lies immediately before them in the act of deciding who loses a right and under what circumstance. Right now it is felons and the mentally ill. Tomorrow it could be those convicted of a misdemenor. Why should I care since I have never been arrested? As long as I can keep my guns, those that lose their rights get their just due, right?

The next day, those that get speeding tickets or parking tickets lose their rights to own a gun. How can they be trusted with a gun if they cannot be trusted to follow the rules of the road? As long as I can keep my guns, those that lose their rights get their just due, right?

These may all seem like unlikely scenarios to you. However, just remember that 100 years ago, the thought that the government could take away your right to own a gun was just as unlikely.

If you give the government the power to take away the rights of free men and women who meet a certain criteria, then you created a precedent by which future governments led by people with worse intents can exploit for their own nefarious purposes.

This may not happen in my lifetime or yours, but it will happen in the lifetime's of one of our descendents. I pray to God that it happens in my lifetime so that I can have a part in correcting that mistake so that my children or my children's children do not have to.

Xerico

please grace us with your company for many years to come :)

also GREAT POST!
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The word is out..and we that are Americans LOST !!

The word from the Gods is..we cannot outright ban them..but by god we can regulate them to death.

No matter HOW they spin it...the NRA, the 'pro-gun' groups...we lost.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    I have only got through the first 20 pages, but your take is that of the anti-gun folks.
    They will push the limits and there will be more law suites filled to try and get more cairafcation of the issue. But a 'basic' desission does make the right undenyable.