In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

new collector needs advice

crl128crl128 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
I am a new enthusiast of antique guns. I am only 19, though, so I obviously cannot purchase handguns. Are there any regulations I need to know about other than background checks to purchase older rifles - specifically surplus military. I don't want to do anything illegal without even knowing it. Can anyone give me some advice on what I need to do in order to get started?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    have money, and a good head on your shoulders.

I will give you some advice, start buying AR's and AK's, because in about a year you will be able to double your money on them.

Do not get mad at some drinking buddy and pull a gun on him, guns are taken extremely serious in this day and age. Never let friends see your guns!! you are young and some day you will realize that all your friends never really were. Do not buy guns if you do not have a SAFE way to store them! Do not buy a cheap SAFE spend a thousand on your safe at least, then buy guns.

Never brag about your guns to anyone, except people here on GB. I suggest taking training courses, not that you need them but they will always stick with you and it will shine on your "resume".

Old military guns are OK, but their value has leveled out, buy semiauto rifles now why you still can! you will thank me for that tidbit of info in a year or so.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. As far as the training courses I am in Army ROTC and am obligated to finish my four years to commission. Would you consider that good enough or do you still recommend some other course? Also, do I need to watch for anything in particular when buying semiautos?
  • Options
    kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by crl128
    do I need to watch for anything in particular when buying semiautos?

generally speaking you get what you pay for. NEVER compromise on quality someday your * will thank you for it.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    "Collector" means different things to different people.

Figure to gather some guns.then make a killing on them in a few years ?

Pick stocks instead ..or buy and sell potatoes. Leave the guns to the people that appreciate them.
    Learning about different firearms is half the fun.

I watched a few years ago as `investors' paid big dollars for Commemorative guns. Seems the market just never took off.the only people interested in them are other uninformed folks, seems like.

Plumber mentioned AK's and SKSs'..just remember.the slimy politicians may well make it difficult or impossible to sell them to ANYBODY.thereby making your `investments' expensive scrap iron.

If you wish to buy weapons because you think we may well have to repel zombies ..them advice will be tendered.

If you wish to buy `investments' ..I have no advice.

Oterwise..go to a gun show.or a dozen..get the `Blue Book'..check prices on GB and other places on the pieces you are interested in.and try and avoid being the `fresh easy kill' most dealers delight in.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the last bit of info I don't plan on getting into anything like this without researching first. I am not the type that is looking for an investment to make money off of later. I simply enjoy the fact of being able to own a piece of history and the expert craftsmanship of the time i which it was made. I guess "collector" may not be the correct term so much as enthusiast or something of the same nature. This isn't a business venture for me so much as learning more about something in which I have an acute interest.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    THAT...friend...is wonderful.

Study the guns from different wars ..you may find that one era interests you more then another.
    The Mauser weapons stretch all across the last century..and even into the 19th century.

Superb examples of the gun makers art..and enough varieties to keep you busy for life.

Many examples can be found yet for a couple hundred dollars. Naturally, prime, unjacked-with guns are getting scarcer every day.and higher priced.

Every Nation had their war weapons ..and each are interesting in their own right. I have wandered thru various and sundry `collections' over the years ..my interests change now and again.
    Our.. US ..weapons have recently shot thru the roof ..a good straight 1903 or 1917 bringing 5-6 hundred dollars ..and that nothing special.
    Garands and .30 Carbines nowadays bring upwards of a thousand ..seems like.the occasional specimen for 5-6 hundred being pretty doggy.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My advice is to buy what you like and can afford. Shoot what you buy. That is the most fun part. Get a C&R liscense. You will probably have to wait untill you are 21 for this one. Makes collecting guns over 50 years older a lot simpler. The low dollar military surplus guns that are plentiful now are not a bad place to start. You are young. By the time you are my age these may not be so cheap and plentiful. Be safe and have fun with it.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmm...

Someone might look into the nice reproduction black powder revolvers. I believe Uberti and Pietta make some Colt 1851 Navy replicas that are sold by some large national sporting goods retailers... no background required. They can be purchased online even, as far as I am aware.

And there is a curious "conversion" cylinder that can be purchased for these models that allows them to shoot cartridges of the appropriate caliber, if someone was so inclined... again no background required and can be shipped to your door.

Of course this could only be done in compliance with local firearms laws, legal age, etc. etc.
  • Options
    jbowles824jbowles824 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I noticed that someone said to get a C&R. Please note that before you get to the age that you can do that, do your homework. There are government websites that tell you which guns you can buy under the C&R. And you should also note that additions or modifications using some products can disqualify a firarm from the C&R rules, so do your homework on any item before you buy it. And be prepared to keep very, very, very good records.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A C&R does require that you keep accurate records in a bound book. I would recomend that you keep an accruate record of each and every gun you buy and sell no matter what, to cover your backside. A C&R is good for any gun that is 50 years old or older in addition to those specificaly on the C&R list. It is best to be able to prove that the gun is over 50 years old by serial #, model production dates, or any other definate proof of date of manufacture.