In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pickenup..

HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
Well, dog gone it...if nobody else will brag on me...I got to do it !!
[:D]

Been a day, friend..I really hate to poke peoples ballons about this ruling..but I just find no joy in it at all.

Comments

• Options
    RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Well, dog gone it...if nobody else will brag on me...I got to do it !!
    [:D]

Been a day, friend..I really hate to poke peoples ballons about this ruling..but I just find no joy in it at all.

This ruling is a mixed bag of tricks and now that its done, we'll just have to wait to see what the future brings. Much like the waiting we did for over 70 yrs to hear this ruling.
    It'll be ok for a while, but there will be a massive amount of court cases coming down the pike and those will be the one's that make the real difference.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Indeed it has been a day, sadly I would agree, not a joyful one.
    (except for your post. [:D])

I believe in the archives of this forum somewhere, this very outcome by the SCOTUS was predicted.
    (or VERY close to it)

They threw enough of a bone, to get "some" excited, and maybe even a bit hopeful.

But from what I see, just another stall tactic, used to placate the sheeple. Apathy will follow soon enough.

I have about had my fill, of scraps from their table.

Would have to agree RogueStatesman, with all the court cases being filed, we will have to wait to see what the future will bring. I have my suspicions, but we will wait and see.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The affirmation of the individual right TKBA is a breath of fresh air. Conversely, the ruling leaves too much ambiguity on the what restrictions on guns in general and handguns specifically will be acceptable to the court of the future. That is scary as hell considering Obama will probably get two terms to load the court with commie-wanna-bees.

I still have a vivid bad memory of SOTUS finding the word SEPERATION in reference to church and state issues in the constitution.
  • Options
    kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    Double edged sword to say the least. Truthfully it could have been a lot worse, even though they just rubbed our noses in scheet. It won't be long until it is a 4-5 ruling, oh some will stand up and be decimated others will bury their weapons thirty five feet deep under a dead cow, others will not give a damn. It is with the utmost conviction I declare that our people are lost to drugs, perversion, money, tv; Our country is quickly following. It took brave men who gave their lives as if they had ten more to found this country, I would think it would take brave men to keep it as it was intended. Sadly we do not have the leadership or the actual ability to keep our country the way it was intended. Our population is smothered in drug addictions whether doctor prescribed or not it is a cancer to this nation, people are doped up or dumbed out. Not too many people that I know honestly give a damn about the shape our country is in, on top of that I know people think we're just fine.

When the supreme court cannot rule unanimously in favor OF the Constitution of the United States we are headed down the wrong road.

Or maybe we are all just fine and I'm a friggen nutcase [:I]
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Folks just do NOT understand.

Remember bush ordering his justice dept to put out a position paper stating that the Second Amendment is an individual right ?

Remember that ? Remember bush stating that he would SIGN AN ASSUALT WEAPON BAN ?
    WHAT PART of all this cannot people understand ??????
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some people see the glass as half empty. Some see it as half full. My dear wife and a lot of you people choose to see it as half empty. Such negativity!!!

I have been saying since the ruling came down that the lawyers will be getting rich of this one for many years.
  • Options
    RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kyplumber
    Double edged sword to say the least. Truthfully it could have been a lot worse, even though they just rubbed our noses in scheet. It won't be long until it is a 4-5 ruling, oh some will stand up and be decimated others will bury their weapons thirty five feet deep under a dead cow, others will not give a damn. It is with the utmost conviction I declare that our people are lost to drugs, perversion, money, tv; Our country is quickly following. It took brave men who gave their lives as if they had ten more to found this country, I would think it would take brave men to keep it as it was intended. Sadly we do not have the leadership or the actual ability to keep our country the way it was intended. Our population is smothered in drug addictions whether doctor prescribed or not it is a cancer to this nation, people are doped up or dumbed out. Not too many people that I know honestly give a damn about the shape our country is in, on top of that I know people think we're just fine.

When the supreme court cannot rule unanimously in favor OF the Constitution of the United States we are headed down the wrong road.

Or maybe we are all just fine and I'm a friggen nutcase [:I]

No plumber ... you're ok!

I'm thinking the same way!
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup

I believe in the archives of this forum somewhere, this very outcome by the SCOTUS was predicted.
    (or VERY close to it)

They threw enough of a bone, to get "some" excited, and maybe even a bit hopeful.

But from what I see, just another stall tactic, used to placate the sheeple. Apathy will follow soon enough.

Would have to agree RogueStatesman, with all the court cases being filed, we will have to wait to see what the future will bring. I have my suspicions, but we will wait and see.

Really?

Now who might have made such a prediction?

We play, at least for now, the cards dealt us. We continue to educate and attempt an awakening, albeit an awakening made more difficult now by the SCROTUS Ruling.

Nothing else we can do but forge ahead.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    The affirmation of the individual right TKBA is a breath of fresh air. Conversely, the ruling leaves too much ambiguity on the what restrictions on guns in general and handguns specifically will be acceptable to the court of the future. That is scary as hell considering Obama will probably get two terms to load the court with commie-wanna-bees.

I still have a vivid bad memory of SOTUS finding the word SEPERATION in reference to church and state issues in the constitution.

Although I am pleased that the ruling affirmed certain tenants of our founding principals and that the ruling was better than it could otherwise have been; at what point does a fundamental, enumerated Natural "right" become a government granted "privilege"?

I would say that point is reached when the fundamental "right" is now subject to government infringement, aka restrictions and regulations on the who, the what, the where, the how and the when, under which that so-called "right" may be exercised.

Just food for thought.

Go figure.......
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup

(or VERY close to it)

Really?

Now who might have made such a prediction?

We play, at least for now, the cards dealt us. We continue to educate and attempt an awakening, albeit an awakening made more difficult now by the SCROTUS Ruling.

Nothing else we can do but forge ahead.

I believe Rack Ops nailed it pretty well with this statement...

"My best guess is that bans will be struck down, but registration will be upheld"

From this thread....

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=273686

Matchshot said....

"All that being said, the door is being left open for regulation by municipalities, states, etc.
    and
    I predict that the DC ban will be struck down."

Last but not least, lets not forget (one of) YOUR statements....

"What I am referring to is that the Second Amendment will be ruled to secure an "individual" right (read privilege) to keep and bear arms, however, the ruling will absolutely state that government can and should regulate firearms to a large degree.
    and
    "You can kiss any ruling in favor of "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" goodbye."

From this thread....

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=294669

Need I go on? [:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good man pickenup. I knew you would remember and post the quotes. [;)]

Modesty kept me from saying "I told you so". Thanks.[8)][:I]
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    Some people see the glass as half empty. Some see it as half full. My dear wife and a lot of you people choose to see it as half empty. Such negativity!!!

I have been saying since the ruling came down that the lawyers will be getting rich of this one for many years.

I just can't help thinking that many here would have been happier if the vote was 5-4 against.[:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag

I just can't help thinking that many here would have been happier if the vote was 5-4 against.[:(]

An abject failure to grasp the issue at hand it seems.
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag

I for one, would have been happier. While I am pleased on the surface with the Heller ruling-for the obvious reasons, a big part of me feels the ruling merely slows the inevitable tide that rises. More importantly, it has slowed the rising tide enough that I may never see its crest. To knowingly leave that crest for my children to wade through is irresponsible as a parent and abhorrent to me as a patriot. I have seen at least half of my days, and likely, the best of them. It is best that the tide crest with me.
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by slumlord44:
    I just can't help thinking that many here would have been happier if the vote was 5-4 against.

originally posted by codenamepaul:

I for one, would have been happier. While I am pleased on the surface with the Heller ruling-for the obvious reasons, a big part of me feels the ruling merely slows the inevitable tide that rises. More importantly, it has slowed the rising tide enough that I may never see its crest. To knowingly leave that crest for my children to wade through is irresponsible as a parent and abhorrent to me as a patriot. I have seen at least half of my days, and likely, the best of them. It is best that the tide crest with me.

Paul,

This is for you and all you others out there that may be in that 50+ crowd.

I've seen many of you reference the "rising tide", make the comment that "most of your life has been lived", etc. Do not believe for one minute that you have/would have nothing to contribute. You all have already given much. For those of us who are in the <35 crowd, you men serve as a great motivator, and your mindset is present in many of us "youngins", because you have passed it on to us. A lot of you have weathered circumstances and times that we cannot even begin to comprehend. You have the "heart" and "spirit" of the Founders, and have refused to let it die. Us young folk owe you an exponential debt of gratitude for that.

During my 35 years, I have seen this country, at different times and sometimes for questionable reasons, call upon the men and women of the Unites States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard. In my younger days, I was included in that number. What did make and still makes an indelible impression upon me is that during those times, I witnessed men aged 60, 70, and 80+ years, that wanted so badly to "be a part", but could not be included due to age. That same spirit is alive and well in many of you.

Take heart. If the "river does crest", there will exist no limits on age or physical ailments. You will be able to contribute whatever you can and are willing to. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that those contributions will be welcome, and will prove to be invaluable.

As someone in that <35 crowd, I just wanted to say thanks.[;)]
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    aggreed. many on the downward slope of the hill may not be able to take as much a part in the physical sense as they would like, the wisdome that comes with age and experience that you could bring to the table would be more helpful then being involved 100%. what good would a 1000 people my age be when we lack the knowledge to put up a strong front?
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wsfiredude
    Originally posted by slumlord44:
    I just can't help thinking that many here would have been happier if the vote was 5-4 against.

originally posted by codenamepaul:

Paul,

This is for you and all you others out there that may be in that 50+ crowd.

I've seen many of you reference the "rising tide", make the comment that "most of your life has been lived", etc. Do not believe for one minute that you have/would have nothing to contribute. You all have already given much. For those of us who are in the <35 crowd, you men serve as a great motivator, and your mindset is present in many of us "youngins", because you have passed it on to us. A lot of you have weathered circumstances and times that we cannot even begin to comprehend. You have the "heart" and "spirit" of the Founders, and have refused to let it die. Us young folk owe you an exponential debt of gratitude for that.

During my 35 years, I have seen this country, at different times and sometimes for questionable reasons, call upon the men and women of the Unites States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard. In my younger days, I was included in that number. What did make and still makes an indelible impression upon me is that during those times, I witnessed men aged 60, 70, and 80+ years, that wanted so badly to "be a part", but could not be included due to age. That same spirit is alive and well in many of you.

Take heart. If the "river does crest", there will exist no limits on age or physical ailments. You will be able to contribute whatever you can and are willing to. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that those contributions will be welcome, and will prove to be invaluable.

As someone in that <35 crowd, I just wanted to say thanks.[;)]

You are welcome, and Thanks in return. While not that advanced quite yet (not quite 40) I do believe that for some years yet I will be able to contribute much. I just outdistanced my daughters' entire field hockey camp( approx 30 HS age girls) because I had the gall to insist thay they be able to cover 1.5 miles in 18 minutes. They (of course) insisted that this was preposterous and that I could not perform the act myself. I came in well under 13 minutes (the fastest) and outdistanced all but two (who were the only ones to complete the 1.5 miles)and still had a few miles in me, while they apparently did not. Several cried-tough slime says I. I insist that as long as I am able, I will score a first class on a USMC PFT (20/80 and 3 mile run)Those days are still ahead of me, as while my shape may not be good, my condition is good and I say better than most of my peers.That will not last forever. With each passing year, the aches and pains grow and the strains come easier and go away slower.

That said, the Beast (tip to HB) is patient and this may have been an opportunity for its impatience to show. A show of the hand would have opened some eyes, I think.