In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Who do I thank for my ability to collect firearms?

slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
There are a lot of people on this forum who think the NRA has ruined our gun hobby.
I have been able to accumulate legaly a nice collection over the last 40 years. I am able to add to my collection by buying from people all over the country. I have everything from single shots to asualt type weapons.
The NRA has been giving up our rights form day one. Who do I thank for the fact that I can still do such things in this country? As far as I know, this is about the only place in the world that this is possible. I keep hearing how bad it is here. Couldn't prove it by me. I am able to buy and sell as I please. Who do I thank? Certainly not the NRA!

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    There are a lot of people on this forum who think the NRA has ruined our gun hobby.

You are a typical example of a "New American", indicated by your own statements.

Owning, carrying and using firearms is not about having a "hobby". It is a fundamental, God-given, or Natural-Right (if you prefer).

Nothing more, nothing less.

With every post you make on the subject of guns, you better define yourself as ignorant of Constitutional Principals, period.

I have been able to accumulate legaly a nice collection over the last 40 years. I am able to add to my collection by buying from people all over the country.

Good for you sir.

Now what does any of that have to do with government actions designed to restrict what is a fundamental, Constitutionally guaranteed right?

Is this some sort of argument that all is well with the NRA, the US Constitution and its Bill of Rights?

Are you arguing that there is no need to speak up about government collectivism and government regulation of those things that should be left to individuals?

I have everything from single shots to asualt type weapons.

What is an "asualt" type weapon?

Are you arguing that since you jumped through whatever government hoops you had to comply with to get these firearms, that all is well in the Republic?

The NRA has been giving up our rights form day one.

Our rights are not the NRA's to "give up". What do you mean by this statement?

The NRA has been complicit in facilitating, supporting and assisting in the authoring of gun-control legislation since the 1930's at least.

The NRA has been complicit in gaining the cooperation and acceptance of America's Citizens in going along with government gun-control for many decades.

"WE" have been giving up our RTKBA and "WE" have been allowing the NRA to "run point" on the debate on gun-rights in America.

Who do I thank for the fact that I can still do such things in this country?

You can thank the "fact" that government has not taken the ultimate step in banning our ability completely to KBA. You can thank the "fact" that we still have a semblance of our Constitution remaining.

None of this has any bearing on the government's continuing efforts to regulate all aspects of the RTKBA and of the NRA's insidious actions in facilitating their doing so.

As far as I know, this is about the only place in the world that this is possible. I keep hearing how bad it is here. Couldn't prove it by me. I am able to buy and sell as I please. Who do I thank? Certainly not the NRA!

Really?

Can you walk in to any gun store and lay down money and buy what you want, without any actions mandated by the Federal, or State government?

Can you simply load up your gun and carry it in any manner you choose, or in any place that you choose to do so?

Are there any pending restrictions that would prevent or restrict your ability to sell "as you please", such as the "gun show loophole"?

If you want to purchase a full-auto firearm, are you able to do so "as you please"?

If you want to own a full-auto firearm, or a short-barreled firearm, or a silenced firearm, are you able to "buy as you please", or are you able to "sell as you please", all with no government restriction?

Your arguments are hollow and they indicate an abject ignorance of, or a major failure to understand what our founding principals and Constitution state.
  • RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    AMEN, Brother ...
    +1

quote:Originally posted by lt496
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44

You are a typical example of a "New American", indicated by your own statements.

Owning, carrying and using firearms is not about having a "hobby". It is a fundamental, God-given, or Natural-Right (if you prefer).

Nothing more, nothing less.

With every post you make on the subject of guns, you better define yourself as ignorant of Constitutional Principals, period.

I have been able to accumulate legaly a nice collection over the last 40 years. I am able to add to my collection by buying from people all over the country.

Good for you sir.

Now what does any of that have to do with government actions designed to restrict what is a fundamental, Constitutionally guaranteed right?

Is this some sort of argument that all is well with the NRA, the US Constitution and its Bill of Rights?

Are you arguing that there is no need to speak up about government collectivism and government regulation of those things that should be left to individuals?

I have everything from single shots to asualt type weapons.

What is an "asualt" type weapon?

Are you arguing that since you jumped through whatever government hoops you had to comply with to get these firearms, that all is well in the Republic?

The NRA has been giving up our rights form day one.

Our rights are not the NRA's to "give up". What do you mean by this statement?

The NRA has been complicit in facilitating, supporting and assisting in the authoring of gun-control legislation since the 1930's at least.

The NRA has been complicit in gaining the cooperation and acceptance of America's Citizens in going along with government gun-control for many decades.

"WE" have been giving up our RTKBA and "WE" have been allowing the NRA to "run point" on the debate on gun-rights in America.

Who do I thank for the fact that I can still do such things in this country?

You can thank the "fact" that government has not taken the ultimate step in banning our ability completely to KBA. You can thank the "fact" that we still have a semblance of our Constitution remaining.

None of this has any bearing on the government's continuing efforts to regulate all aspects of the RTKBA and of the NRA's insidious actions in facilitating their doing so.

As far as I know, this is about the only place in the world that this is possible. I keep hearing how bad it is here. Couldn't prove it by me. I am able to buy and sell as I please. Who do I thank? Certainly not the NRA!

Really?

Can you walk in to any gun store and lay down money and buy what you want, without any actions mandated by the Federal, or State government?

Can you simply load up your gun and carry it in any manner you choose, or in any place that you choose to do so?

Are there any pending restrictions that would prevent or restrict your ability to sell "as you please", such as the "gun show loophole"?

If you want to purchase a full-auto firearm, are you able to do so "as you please"?

If you want to own a full-auto firearm, or a short-barreled firearm, or a silenced firearm, are you able to "buy as you please", or are you able to "sell as you please", all with no government restriction?

Your arguments are hollow and they indicate an abject ignorance of, or a major failure to understand what our founding principals and Constitution state.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Slumlord;
    While the post from LT was very good;

The answer you seek lies in another direction.

You may thank Myself, the Captain, Freemind, Pickenup, ECC, Rogue, RTKBAFever..this is just a scattering of names picked at random from these forums.
    These are the 3% that those in power can't beat...yet.
    The INSTANT they ban guns, there will be war. They well know that ..thanks in no small part for the NRA reports to those in power.
    While you mosey down and turn in that huge, costly collection of hobby firearms...good men will be wading in a river of blood...using their Second Amendment Rights, 'Liberties Teeth', to regain freedom for America once again.

The REALLY sad thing is...people like you will be allowed to once again make money with your 'hobby' and own guns again.

Unless we come up with a mental test to winnow out people like you...because you are unfit to own weapons.
    Weapons OUGHT to be owned by people intelligent enough to understand WHY they are owned...and you fail that test, miserably.
  • rkba4everrkba4ever Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Slumlord;
    While the post from LT was very good;

The answer you seek lies in another direction.

You may thank Myself, the Captain, Freemind, Pickenup, ECC, Rogue, RTKBAFever..this is just a scattering of names picked at random from these forums.
    These are the 3% that those in power can't beat...yet.
    The INSTANT they ban guns, there will be war. They well know that ..thanks in no small part for the NRA reports to those in power.
    While you mosey down and turn in that huge, costly collection of hobby firearms...good men will be wading in a river of blood...using their Second Amendment Rights, 'Liberties Teeth', to regain freedom for America once again.

The REALLY sad thing is...people like you will be allowed to once again make money with your 'hobby' and own guns again.

Unless we come up with a mental test to winnow out people like you...because you are unfit to own weapons.
    Weapons OUGHT to be owned by people intelligent enough to understand WHY they are owned...and you fail that test, miserably.

Well said, sir. People have got to wake up and understand what is at stake. Far too many are OK with governmental intrusions on free excersize of constitutional rights, and somehow we have got to confront that mindset and educate those who are willing to actually see. We keep posting here in the hopes that we can reach those who aren't yet gone too far, and show them the truth.
  • Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My freedom comes from God. Period.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slumlord:

You should thank the framers of the Constitution, particularly the delegation from Virginia and those others that refused to sign on to the Constitution without the promise of a Bill of Rights. You should thank those framers for insisting that the changing of the Constitution requires a super-majority, ensuring that the removal of that 2nd Amendment would be a very difficult endeavor.

You should also thank all Americans that recognize that the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is not about sport, hobby, or even self-defense in the home as proclaimed in the Heller decision. You should thank those that understand that the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is about the preservation of freedom and liberty in the face of not only foreign threats but against the excessive encroachment or our own government as well.

As noted by HB above, you should thank those that are willing to take these principles to the grave, if necessary, in order to preserve that right for you, your children, and your children's children.

You should thank founders such as Thomas Paine and Patrick Henry, the firebrands that put their mark on this country, and instilled the institutionalized individualism that once was pervasive, but is now under attack.

You should thank people who stand up to those that no longer understand what freedom and self-government mean because they are so conditioned that they thank the local Sheriff for granting them permission to own or carry a firearm, and thank the NICS whenever they pass muster during a purchase.

Lastly, you should thank current firebrands such as Ron Paul, those who recognize the growing danger of totalitarian government and who stand up to the mocking morons that cannot grasp what individualism really is.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • 1776-19761776-1976 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To slumlord44 a BIG thumbs down. To lt496 a BIG thumbs up. It is a shame to see so called Americans (slumlord44) who are in reality NO different than the liberals who seek to destroy the United States of America.