In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

help with shooting (eye problems)

fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
ok so i have noticed when i shoot above 100yrds i can not see a 1" dot enough to hold scope. now that being said i do wear contacts, i had eye exam and new contacts in Aug. did help some but not enough to make diff. I am right eye dom.(i do shoot left eye closed also) and i have astigmatism in that eye. Anyone got any idea's to try. oh and scope dont make big diff on the issue. i have tried buddys 2k$ zeiss, and others like that, that are considered benchmark scopes. now that being said i have only used up to a 10x scope @ 100 yrds
would it help to go up in magnification? if so what do you recommend. I do not shoot comp. just fun/hunting
thanks

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fl23in,

I'm not trying to be a smartaleck but you should increase the size of the dot to 2" or more the further you place the target from your shooting position.

The clarity of a scope has a paramount importance when it comes to accurate shooting. However, without the magnification, clarity doesn't seem be much benefit.

Bigger dots, more magnification will help resolve your dilemma.

Best.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can not see a 1" dot at 200 yards with a 10X scope you have eye issues, a junk scope or the scope is not adjusted properly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok thanks for replys.

yes i do understand clarity does matter not arguing that at all. it may sound like i cannot see the 1" dot at all at 100yrds, i can but i seems to be about 1/4" in size. I have went up to a 2" dot but does not help when trying to give feed back to my buddy who is helping me with reloading and setting up a load for my rifle for true accuracy.
    So going up in magnification would help more? and what would i do when i want to go up even yardage say 500yds. If i am having prob with 10x and 1" dot. What size dot target do you guys try and hold scope on in higher yardage
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know shooters who have tried this and like it, really good for eye strengthening. Might not be what you are after though.
    http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=743
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fl23in
    ok thanks for replys.

yes i do understand clarity does matter not arguing that at all. it may sound like i cannot see the 1" dot at all at 100yrds, i can but i seems to be about 1/4" in size. I have went up to a 2" dot but does not help when trying to give feed back to my buddy who is helping me with reloading and setting up a load for my rifle for true accuracy.
    So going up in magnification would help more? and what would i do when i want to go up even yardage say 500yds. If i am having prob with 10x and 1" dot. What size dot target do you guys try and hold scope on in higher yardage

A Burris Signature 8X32 power scope will cover you for the distances you have discussed. If your desire is to SEE the dot and SEE the movement of the rifle then a higher magnification is very helpful.
    Here is another option:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=256706834
    -or-
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=257636614
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ^ thank you sir i do belive that may be my best solustion to my prob. till i get a tad more yrs under me and have lasik. sucks having poopty eyes at 30yrs old. But hay 15yrs of welding is not good on eyes
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello sir I have shot competitively for over 40 years . I have been near sighted all my life. I had glasses changed every 2-5 years . I thought my eye sight was as good as it could be corrected to and had different correction for Astigmatism every time I had eye exam. Two years ago I had eye surgery for Floaters This caused rapid changes to my correction every 3 weeks or so . I knew this could be a side effect going in to remove the floaters. I then had a lens implant and told my Eye doc . I wanted the best distance vision possible . Had many test done to including Topo of the cornea and measure the length of my Eye Ball 2 days after this lens implant I had 20/20 vision in this eye and Now I have between 20-15 and 20-10 in this my right eye . I can see 22 long rifle round nose bullet holes in the black with good light conditions at 25 yards . no problem at all with holes in the white. on top of that peep sights look as good as with a 4 X scope did 3 years ago. I am not someone that would normally chose to go under the knife . This was the first surgery I had in over 60 years but if I knew what I have gotten I would have done this lens implant 40 years ago. If it had been available that long ago.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello sir I have shot competitively for over 40 years . I have been near sighted all my life. I had glasses changed every 2-5 years . I thought my eye sight was as good as it could be corrected to and had different correction for Astigmatism every time I had eye exam. Two years ago I had eye surgery for Floaters This caused rapid changes to my correction every 3 weeks or so . I knew this could be a side effect going in to remove the floaters. I then had a lens implant and told my Eye doc . I wanted the best distance vision possible . Had many test done to including Topo of the cornea and measure the length of my Eye Ball 2 days after this lens implant I had 20/20 vision in this eye and Now I have between 20-15 and 20-10 in this my right eye . I can see 22 long rifle round nose bullet holes in the black with good light conditions at 25 yards . no problem at all with holes in the white. on top of that peep sights look as good as with a 4 X scope did 3 years ago. I am not someone that would normally chose to go under the knife . This was the first surgery I had in over 60 years but if I knew what I have gotten I would have done this lens implant 40 years ago. If it had been available that long ago.

yea i completely understand and is deff. food for thought, but i have prob 5 surgries within the next yr or so and eye's will be last on list since insurance is poopty with eye surgery. pays only 15% i think. but will deff look more into it

thank you
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've worked with several visually impaired shooters but your problem baffles me.
    Is it inability to focus on the rear scope lense or fuzzy image of the target or just that the dot on the target is not visible?
    Most of the problems I've seen involve not being able to actually see the crosshairs since these folks aren't able to see wellenough to read print. At best they see the target as a blob but sometimes contrasting colors can help differentiate the center.
    If you have specific questions that I might help with, email me @ robertthead@hotmail.com
    I get questions from visually impaired shooters often and try to help if possible.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ^ yea kinda hard to describe "exactly" what happens. But also when tryig really hard to focus on the "dot" i do loose the crosshiars of sorts every once in a while, almost like when not wearing glasses/contacts you squint to see a far object in better detail and then close objects "fad" out
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fl23in
    ^ yea kinda hard to describe "exactly" what happens. But also when tryig really hard to focus on the "dot" i do loose the crosshiars of sorts every once in a while, almost like when not wearing glasses/contacts you squint to see a far object in better detail and then close objects "fad" out

That sounds like you don't have the lens focused on your scope.(one closest to you eye)

I would get a min. of 12-14 power scope and I think that will help you out alot.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you are trying for tiny dots at distances of 200yds and more, the more magnification you get, the better off you are.

I use 32X scopes on my longrange rigs. You can always turn them down, but if you are at the top of your magnification range, you can't turn it up any more.[;)]
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can sympathize with your situation, I have been near-sighted since 9th grade. As a SWAT team marksman I found that my contacts would drift low on my eye when on the scope causing a variety of problems, none of which would be acceptable in a real-world situation. I got a set of oversize lenses (non-bifocal) and it solved the problem. Since that time I have had Lasix and am 20-15 for the past 7+ years with no astigmatism.
    FWIW
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    I can sympathize with your situation, I have been near-sighted since 9th grade. As a SWAT team marksman I found that my contacts would drift low on my eye when on the scope causing a variety of problems, none of which would be acceptable in a real-world situation. I got a set of oversize lenses (non-bifocal) and it solved the problem. Since that time I have had Lasix and am 20-15 for the past 7+ years with no astigmatism.
    FWIW

ok i will have to ask eye doc about those