In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

270 in a 3006 chamber

Just wondering what would happen if accidently fired a 270 cartridge in a 3006 Rifle?

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been done a bazillion times. There's a muted bang, more smoke than usual and no hole in the target.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    It's been done a bazillion times. There's a muted bang, more smoke than usual and no hole in the target.

this is correct, I would however, try to discourage you from doing it the other way around[xx(]
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmm...I'm not sure you can put an '06 in a 270,
    however if you are looking for more excitement than you
    bargained for, just try an 8x57 in an '06. That's nasty!
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The fact that a .270 Win. will chamber in an 06 was a design flaw by Winchester . They should have moved the shoulder ahead .025-.030" , thus preventing this occurance . Remington moved the shoulder ahead .051" from the 06 ( 1.748 TO 1.799 ) on their .280 Rem. and it only chambers in .280s !
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    [:D]I believe that Remington had a blown-up 742 .30-06 returned to them several decades ago, along with a letter that was full of nasty cuss words. Remington never did determine what blew up the gun, but the letter-writer did include all of the parts, including the magazine. And the 8x57 and the .35 Remington that were in it.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't mess up very often but I did fire a .243 cartridge in a .25/06 rifle once. The first thing I noticed was that the case looked funny--no neck and not much shoulder. I think it's still common for some one to fire a .30-30 cartridge in a .32 Special. A guy sees a 94 Winchester or a Marlin lever-gun and thinks ".30-30". I think that may be where the .32 Special got it's reputation for poor accuracy. I saw a wrecked rifle above the door at a gun shop one time and asked about it. It was a .264 Winchester Magnum and had a .284 Winchester cartridge fired in it. Too much headspace, chamber too large, and bullet too big! I have rifles in both 7mm Rem. SAUM and .270 WSM. The cartridges sure do look alike! I don't like to think about the shorter SAUM with the larger bullet getting into the WSM chamber!
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a .44 mag fired in a .45 Colt once by one of my shooting partners. Split the case all down the side. At least it was in an old Vaquero and it handled the pressure.

I also found a .40 S&W that looked like it had been fired in a .45 ACP chamber on the ground at the range. Same result to the case.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm guessing with small case for chamber and small bullet for bore the biggest danger might be gas coming back through the action?????
  • Options
    dog1944dog1944 Member Posts: 295 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One I have seen to offend here in TX is shooting a 300Win mag in a 300 Weatherby, they do it on purpose claims they work well and are a bunch cheaper you end up with a 300Weatherby case with about an 1/8 neck see them laying on the ground at Carters all the time
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here was an eye opener..for me too!
    Back in the days when the DCM supplied the ammo for
    our State High Power match, they had switched from supplying
    30-06 ammo to the more current 308 (NATO) rounds. The guys in the
    National Guard units didn't get the word...so...they shot it
    anyway in their M-1's. Cases were REALY short necked and sooty,
    but no guns were damaged or failed to function.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one and only time I have seen this done it didn't hurt the gun or the shkooter. but the .270 bullet obstrated itself in the barrel for some reason. (I have also seen this in a 40cal handgun when someone tried to run 9mm through it).
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know a guy who picked up one of my relaods and dropped it in his SBH well when he fired it the gun made a fuuny sound. The brass would not come out, had to take the cylinder out and use a wooden rod and hammer that case out. He got all bent out of shape about my reloads, I said I did not load them for your gun, they are for mine. Well what he did next still amazes me, he tried one more. Same result, had to hammer it out. My brother saw what was wrong, I shoot a 41mag the SBH is a 44mag. Then the guy said I shot the before , umm guess not. lol I also shoot 44 mag but I never set both rounds on the table at one time, could make a mistake.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.