In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.308 hopper or what cheer bullet

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
Looking for information on "use" for a FN (lead core)200 gr. .308 bullet by two makers:
1. What Cheer
2. Hopper

Both are marked as "target" bullets. I assume for long range M1 competition. Any history and or use.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cannot google either brand of bullet.
    You got links or catalog information?
    If FN stands for Flat Nose, then they sure aren't for long range from an M1.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hawk - I tried the net & some older M1 shooters, no luck. They came from an estate of an M1 and British .303 target shooter. They are flat nose with lead showing flush with the nose (Not like a SP). They are very consistent in weight and dia.

I assumed long range since he also had quite a bit of M72 and M118 ammo instead of the std. M2.

I knew this would not be a simple answer, but I am confident "someone" will know.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to Cartridges of the World, 9th Edition on page 129, "What Cheer" cartridges were associated with the Peabody Martini rifle and named after a famous target range outside Providence RI. The pictured rounds are a .40-70 and a .40-90 Peabody. I find no reference to a .30-cal "What Cheer" cartridge, however.

I assume that somebody has decided to use the name as a sort of brand name for their bullet. Ditto for the "Hopper" which may be somebody's name, in the same way as Nosler, Hornady, and Speer.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rocky - Interesting because this person also shot .40-70.

The bullets were not in an original box, just marked as such in a container by the last owner. Nice rounds, very consistent, and the person had some loaded into a 30-06 with IMR-4895. Can't try the reloads since they are neck sized only. I normally would not consider anyone else's reloads in my guns, but this guy clearly marked each box, and the load looks to be mild.

But I'll load up some and see how they shoot. Always an adventure.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.