In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

32 H & R Magnum - 1894 Marlin

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
Does anyone use lead bullets out of their Marlin 1894? I'm using jacketed thus far, but I'd like to try lead bullets - less expensive and a bit more to choose from. I'd like to send them along at a pretty brisk fps, but of course leading is a concern.

I know there are coppeer coated bullets out there too, Ranier or Berrys for example. Can those be used?

Any info on what folks have used and how fast is helpful.

Comments

• Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't speak to your caliber, but I shoot lead bullets out of the Marlin 45/70 and Win .30/30 regularly. Just worked up a load for my 30/06 and about to try it out.

I use Unique and Trail Boss.

Just find your bullets, heavy or light, and look up your charge weight and seating depth.
    Copper plated works well, but load a bit slower- such a cast bullet velocities.

It's great to watch my 11 yr old shoot the bigger rifles!
    It amazes some of the guys at the range.
    It really tames them down, and yet can still put a hole in a deer.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Topkick
    I can't speak to your caliber, but I shoot lead bullets out of the Marlin 45/70 and Win .30/30 regularly. Just worked up a load for my 30/06 and about to try it out.

I use Unique and Trail Boss.

Just find your bullets, heavy or light, and look up your charge weight and seating depth.
    Copper plated works well, but load a bit slower- such a cast bullet velocities.

It's great to watch my 11 yr old shoot the bigger rifles!
    It amazes some of the guys at the range.
    It really tames them down, and yet can still put a hole in a deer.

I notice the plated bullets advise to keep velocities at 1,600 fps or slower and I think that'll be the case with the 100 grain bullets.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In pistol ammo, I have found GOOD cast bullets to do better than plated. I would give lead a chance in the Marlin.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    Lyman makes a 'jim-dandy' 130 gn. gas check bullet for the 7.62x39 rd. it also works great in the .32/20 and should work well in the .32 mag. it is a pointed bullet but recoil in these cals. is so light they will work in a magazine tube.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I shoot lead from my 30-30, 45-70 out of my Marlins and my 375JDJ out of my Encore. They are hard cast and gas checked. I have very little leading problems. A friend of mine cast these for me and they are really hard.

The 30-30 is doing over 2100fps, 45-70 is doing over 1850fps and the 375JDJ is doing just a tad over 2000fps.