In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hand priming tool...

Can I use the same tool for large and small primers?

Do the shell holders interchange between makers?

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually, yes. Most of them come with small and large parts that interchange. I have the older style (round tray) Lee AutoPrime and simply bought two of them. I leave them set up for small and large.

If you don't reload a lot, one may be enough because it takes only a minute to change them over.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shellholders do NOT always interchange in priming tools like they do in presses. Lee for example uses special shellholders for their priming tools. Fortunately, they are cheap. Most other makers do make provision to use shellholders that also work in the press, AFAIK.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My priming hand tool of choice is the lyman 310 tong tool. I think I about 20 sets of dies for everything I shoot. The ram prime system that screw in presses 7/8-14 are ok. The little lever type that fit in a grove in the ram are lame at best.
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    I've been eyeing the Lee.

Any major cons except needing its own shell holders?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is what I have used for 35 years, it has great feel and uses the same shell holders as your press does.

http://eastcoastgunsales.com/product.php?ID=101048

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=33573/sku=63-09460/Product/RCBS-Auto-Priming-Tool
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Lee, mine is the older round-style. I am going to get one of the new ones with the square tray after the Christmas holiday.

The shell holder issue isn't a big deal, you get a huge selection of shell holders when you buy the set. I reload .38/.357, .44 spl/mag, .45 Colt/.454 Casull, .45-70, .270, .243, .30-30, .35 Rem, .257 Roberts, and .45 Super. All are primed with the Lee hand primer, and all have shell holders in the set.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one of the earlier Lee tools and the alloy gave out at the pivot point at the base of the lever. I bought an RCBS hand tool and have been using it for years. It uses standard shell holders and has adaptors to handle different primer sizes. It gives a good "feel" as the primer seats.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the LEE round tray priming tool a LOT. Yes, they will wear out at the pivot IF you don't put some lube there. My problem is the stress they put on my hands causes Arthur to act up(through the winter I may prime up to 3000 cases per week). I've got to find an alternative. Been using a Forster bench priming tool but since they changed the design, I can't get tubes for my old one anymore.
    I sent mine back to have it milled out for the new style tubes and instead, they reworked the tube to fit my casting. The soft aluminum tubes simply don't hold up well in a high use operation. I'm not going to spend $40 everytime I need a new tube so guess I'll have to spring for something else this winter.
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an rcbs universal hand priming tool. It works great. Can switch between large and small primers and does NOT use shell holders. I've used it on several different calibers and will say it works great.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The square Lee hand primer is very awkward in my hand.It needs some ergonomic engineering.
    I prefer their older press type although you have to tap the magazine to keep primers feeding.