In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Last powder ?

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
Will unique alliant powder reload 380, 9, 9mm makarov, 40, 44 mag, .38 special, 357 mag and 327 pistol. Also i am looking to reload rifles as well. 223, 270, 30-06, 7mm mag, and 243. If Unique alliant can not do rifles what would you recommend? Thanks for your patience with a newbie.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can load nearly any pistol caliber with Unique although you will not get full power in the magnums.

I'd want at least two and maybe three powders to get the best out of all those rifle calibers.

Do you have a handloading manual?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a manual from the 80s i am going to get a updated one before i start reloading again. I dont want to go boom boom.[:D]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMR 4895 will cover MOST of your rifle needs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you will want 2 minimum. IMR 4350, Hunter, or RL-17 for everything but the 223. A lot of choices in the 223, varies a little with bullet weight.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Agree with "Bpost".
    I also use Unique for all my revolver
    loads and Bullseye for my semi pistols
    and I have had good results.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could get away with three powders total, but four would be better.

Unique is a superb powder, but it is a century old, and many people think of it as "flammable dirt" because it does burn dirty. If clean is important to you, you could substitute Hodgdon Universal, Alliant Power Pistol, W231 or Ramshot True Blue for your light to medium handgun loads.

Alliant 2400 is the standard heavy handgun powder, but it is also dirty. IMR 4756, Accurate #9 or LilGun will serve for true magnum loads.

Your rifle rounds will be served by Reloder 15, Varget, TAC or either 4895 for most loadings, and H/IMR4831, Accurate 3100, W780 or Reloder 22 for the .270 and 7 Mag.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.