In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-30 crimping

mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
How do I know if I get enough crimp on a 30-30 round? I am going to try loading for lever actions. My biggest fear, I don't want to see the bullet being driven into the case from recoil. Is there anyway to tell? I see nothing in the reloading book. Thanks, Mike

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at some factory rounds. It is a feel thing, too much pressure and things go wrong sorta like seating primers. It is no big deal to have a round or two have the bullet pushed in, just add a little more crimp. Keeping your brass at a uniform length makes for easier consistancy in crimping.
  • Options
    mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do I have to have the bullets with the crimp groove? mike
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at a factory round and also run a fingernail over its crimp. Those two will tell you an amazing amount - much more than you could get by trying to measure the crimp.

With factory seat and crimp dies, you do have to use bullets with a crimp groove. All bullets meant for the .30-30 do have one. If you are using some other bullets for whatever reason, you either have to create a crimp groove in the right spot or buy a Lee Factory Crimp Die, which will safely create a crimp even if there is no groove for it.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mikecarol63
    How do I know if I get enough crimp on a 30-30 round? I am going to try loading for lever actions. My biggest fear, I don't want to see the bullet being driven into the case from recoil. Is there anyway to tell? I see nothing in the reloading book. Thanks, Mike

A NO BRAINER for crimping 30/30 is the the LEE factory crimp die! Just read the instructions with the die!
    You can review on-line! The cases do not have to be same length, don't really need a crimp groove in the bullet. It's a die that you use after you have seated all you reloads then install the crimp die for final crimping.
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out factorysales.com, they have the Lee dies for ten bucks. Good prices on all Lee products. RW
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree on the Lee factory crimp die. I use mine on several cartridges, including the 30-30.

And, on the 45-70. As an experiment, I created some thumper loads using Lee's factory crimp with the bullet seated slightly below the crimping groove. I shot 10 shots, leaving the same 5 cartridges in the magazine tube. None of the bullets budged. So I'm a believer.