In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hand gun powder

RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
I have probably asked this before but I want to load, 44 mag, 44 special, 357 mag 38 special and 9MM using only one powder. Problem is I want the cleanest burning powder a person can buy. What do I use? I have been using Red Dot and It's almost like using mud. Any answers?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Unique or some powder with about the same burn rate.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Another vote for Unique, if you want one powder for all.
    W.D.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hodgdon Titegroup will do great. It is however only for target velocities. Burns clean, isn't position sensitive and is cheap.
  • Options
    floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load/shoot 44 Mag and Special only, and a bunch at that. I personally like Hodgdon Universal. Also,I've found the lead non-jacketed bullets produce more smoke than the jacketed bullets do when shooting at the range. Just my 2 cents...
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've loaded all those calibers with TiteGroup with good results. Like BHAVIN said, it's mainly for moderate loads but is cost effective-a little goes a long way. You need to have a decent powder measure since some of the charges are pretty small. If you pull out the 38Sp, you could use AA#7 and load heavier loads in all the rest. It gives top end 9mm performance and no slouch in 357 & 44.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unique falls into the flammable dirt category of Bullseye and Red Dot by today's clean burning powder standards. For what you are doing I personally would use Unique, knowing it is not clean burning because it is a proven performer in those cartridges.

Tite Group uses lower charge weights, close to Bullesye in some cases, Making it economical to use. Tite Group is so clean burning after a range session I just spritz the gun with CLP, wipe it off and put it back into the safe.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Unique falls into the flammable dirt category of Bullseye and Red Dot by today's clean burning powder standards. For what you are doing I personally would use Unique, knowing it is not clean burning because it is a proven performer in those cartridges.

The new Unique burn a lot cleaner than it used to. I've loaded it since the mid '60,s and seen the change.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One more for Unique. Herco can work as well, their burning rates are pretty close. You won't get absolute maximum velocity with the magnums, but good consistency.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will NEVER understand the need for clean over the need for accuracy or performance.
    I would consider these to be in range to work fairly well with all cartridges mentioned.
    Unique (Alliant)
    Universal Clays (Hodgdon)
    N330 (Vihtavuori)
    Power Pistol (Alliant)
    SR7625 (IMR)
    HS6 (Hodgdon)
    Silhouette (Ramshot)
    N340 (Vihtavuori)
    Herco (Alliant)
    WSF (Winchester)

The VV powders are generally considered clean burning. Silhouette is often very accurate. WSF seems to have an excellent range or usefulness.
    You can get full magnum performance with these powders, but you can come close.
    Personally, I prefer 2400 and AA9 for .44 Mag and .357 Mag. I prefer Unique or Herco for .44 Special or warmer .38 Special (though you can certainly move up in burn speed to 231/HP38, PB (very clean burning), Zip, and AA5), AA2 and Red Dot are ideal for target loads for .38 Special and .45 Auto. Herco is an excellent general-purpose powder for 9x19, but you would probably much prefer N340.
    If I had only one powder, it would be Unique. I haven't tried Universal, but it also might be very good. For light target loads, I am a big fan of AA2 and Red Dot.
    You will find that in terms of accuracy, Red Dot will almost always be among the best powders.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rosie,

For a cleaner burning effective powder in those calibers, I would suggest AA no. 5
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Unique in .380, 9mm, and .45. It gives me great results, little flash or smoke, and it's quite clean.

Power Pistol overall is best for 9mm, but didn't give best results in other calibers. I suggest Unique then for your uses.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the CLEANEST burning powder I would use Titegroup.

But, I don't know if it would be suitable for ALL the calibers you listed?

I use W296 for the barn burner loads.[;)]
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rosie

I have probably asked this before but I want to load, 44 mag, 44 special, 357 mag 38 special and 9MM using only one powder. Problem is I want the cleanest burning powder a person can buy. What do I use? I have been using Red Dot and It's almost like using mud. Any answers?

I like Unique and use it for NON-magnum handgun loads...I have never used Unique for mag rounds....buy a can of H-110 or W296 for the mags...and pay attention to the manuals when using these powders... my two cents...reloader44mag
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also use #296 for my 44 mag. hunting loads with 25 grns. A 300 Gr. copper H.P. and win. primer and I'm good to go. I set the lead out to the upper ring and it does a real number on deer.