In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

25-06 MAG PRIMERS???????

bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
ok So I did it and will admit it. In loading for my 25-06 I mistakingly put WMR Mag primers in the first37 rds I resized before I realized it. So question is I cant find a recipie for a powder I have to use them. Can I reduce the load of 44 gr of 4064 that I was going to use for hunnerd gr bullets or pucnh um out and throw them. I usually use CCI BR primers. Thanx guys .

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I'd waste $2 worth of primers rather than $30 of bullets.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pull em, dump em, punch em, recharge em, re-seat em, go shoot em.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If that is less than a maximum book charge, load five or ten and test them. You'll have a load that is better, worse or no different than your usual one. At that point, you can smile and load the rest of them or punch out the primed ones. Document the test load so you'll know what to do the next time.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4064 is pretty fast for a 25/06. I use much slower powder and magnum primers as recommended.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bsdoyle,

As noted by Mobuck, magnum primers are recommended for high quantities of slow powder in that case. IMO, that is a better combination for that case than standard primers and fast powders, such as the 4064 you are using. A magnum primer is a little hotter and faster than a standard primer. It's about like changing powder up one speed.

If you have any RE-19/22/25 or H1000, Retumbo or IMR 7828 or 8700 (I don't think they still make it) or Winchester 780 (not sure if it's made still either). Even 4831 or AA3100.

Anyhow, a heavy dose of slow powder and a magnum primer in that case works well. Go to the website for a start point to work up from, www.hodgdon.com and work from there.

I know a lot of people who found this out during the "big primer shortage". They simply worked up loads with magnum primers which were often available and had plenty of success.

The flip side is you can punch these out. But don't feel there is any need to. You can work up with what you've got. And, that's good information for down the road.