In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RCBS Uniflow Powder HELP Needed

1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
I reload just about everything using the tried and true one-at-a-timin-it method. I didn't even think about electronic metering until last year. Still probably trust the old Ohaus beam the most.

I'm now reloading A LOT of 5.56 NATO and .40 S&W, and I've never even thought about using one of the Uniflow Powder drops. Now, it just seems logical, IF I can get an accurate charge.

There are several RCBS product numbers, but I'm not sure of which would be best for my reloading situation.

I'm using the following:
5.56 NATO ( 25.3 grains of 748 )
.40 S&W ( 6.2 grains of Unique )

Thanks for your equipment suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd get (DID GET!) The Uniflo with small cylinder and micrometer adjustment. The small cylinder will deliver enough powder for say a .308 so you will be fine in .223 and .40.

748 is a Ball powder and will measure like a dream.
    I would go with a Ball powder instead of the coarse flake Unique in the .40, too. It would measure close enough but there would be enough variability to drive you nuts after using a scale you could get right on.
    Check your books for suitable powders from WW, Hodgdon, or Accurate.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the old uniflow with both cylinders. The trick that works for me is to make an adjustment, throw 10 charges then check results on the scale. repeat as required. Some powders meter like a dream (ball), and some don't work nearly as nice IMR4198. For really top loads throw the charge a little under and "trickler" the rest or you invest in one of those digital big buck units.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Both of those powders will work in the uniflow very well.

I use a Uniflow for ball and flake powders, and a cheap Lee Perfect Powder Measure for stick (don't ask why, it just works so well on stick powders!).

You could probably get by with the small rotor only for both those charges, but the large one would be my preference for the rifle load. In point of fact, I'd probably just leave the large one in period. 6.2 gr of unique is about the very minimum I'd run in the large rotor but it should still work consistently. I do a lot of cast bullet reloading with light charges of powder and just leave the large rotor in, unless going down to the 1-5 grain range.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have an old model Uniflo with both cylinders. It is very consistent, but I am old school and I still weigh every 10th round for insurance. I use it for Unique all the time and it will throw within +/- .1 grain all day long - just maintain a supply of powder in the reservoir to keep uniform feed pressure on the powder going into the measure cylinder. With ball powder it is exceptionally smooth. It will measure old IMR 4831 with some grain crunching, but consistent accuracy.