In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.308 tracer bullet loads

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
I have a friend starting to load .308 145 gr. tracer projectiles into a 30-06. He is using IMR3031 powder and can't find a load listing. I recommended (maybe in error) to use the load data for 147 gr., but he is concerned about the depth of the projectile into the case creating to much additional pressure.

Any words of wisdom? (my words were not to load Tracer in your good rifle, but what do I know)

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't say I'm a big fan of loading and shooting "tracers" anywhere except a military reservation under controled conditions, however, loaded to the standard over all legnth they should present no problems at all.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would use a low to mid level load for a 150 grain bullet. The tracer bullets are usually longer with a longer bearing surface than normal 147-150 grain fmj. I think I loaded some with around 47-48 grains of 4895 and they shot close to the standard M2 load @300 meters.
    Be advised they will set RR tie backstops on fire(or at least make them smolder).
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep tracers can and do start fires. I sent a 5 gal bucket of pulled 30-06 tracers down range in both a 308 (4895) and an 30-06 (4831). The best way is to pre burn them. Gloves and eye protection are a good plan. Get one lit with a propane torch, then butt the next one up to the burning one. Once that next one is lit; toss that first one in bucket of water; repeat. They swim around the bottom of the bucket nicely (don't breath the fumes). Lay the now non-tracer on a towel in the sun for a few days to dry them out well. I never left the rounds loaded for very long (a week at most) and had no problems.