In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rem 130 gr Bronze Point

dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone ever load and use any of these in a .270 Weatherby mag?

Curious to bullet performance vs out of a .270 Win.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dpmule,

The 130 gr. Bronze Point has been Remington's leading bullet for the .270 Win. for a long time and until recently when they started offering a better selection of premium bullets in factory loads.

I've used Bronze Points in several cartridges, although I am not a devotee of the .270 in anything. The Bronze Point was the original design for tipped bullets where the tip acts as the initiator to the expansion of the bullet on impact. The performance notes I have indicate that I have not had any failures and all shots resulted in one-shot kills. The design is proven in my estimate but this always leaves us, the shooter, as the greatest variable.

The 130 gr. Bronze Points will perform up to the design constraints in the Weatherby as it does with the Winchester cartridge. Note that from a 26" barrel you should be operating somewhere in the area of 3350 FPS with the Weatherby as opposed to 3000 FPS with the Winchester. The greater velocity can affect performance with bullets featuring a thinner cup of course. I suggest that shots on game be made with accuracy in mind instead of simply shooting at the shoulder which will result in significantly larger wound channels. Heart and neck shots will always result in a sure, expedient kill. This is as true with the Bronze Points as it is with any other design except the solids.

Here is a good website with tons of information about many of the common and some uncommon cartridges:

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/

Best.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nononsense - that is a very interesting link. I've been checking into it some. Thanks much. [:)]

I've had the opportunity to surf his site and to devour much of it now. It is a very comprehensive and useful collection of pertinent information. Thanks again for the gem. [^]

By the by, have you met or conversed with Mr. Foster?

He sent me some information pertinent and very useful to some thinking and tinkering about that I've been doing lately. Very helpful.
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like you nononsense, I have had exceptional performance from the 130 gr Bronze Point.
    Having taken 26 branch antlered elk, numerous cow elk, several black bear,( but after near getting chewed on I won't do that any more, but that's my fault and another story), many many mule deer and a few whitetails and the odd 50 or coyotes.

Only one downside story for me, shot a bull twice at 20 yds, with zero visible effect, when bull got to +/- 80 yds, I shot him in back of head. Upon gutting, both rounds had gone through lungs and out with out the least bit of expansion. Most everything else was a one shot kill, with only a handful requiring two and none, zero, zilch requiring three besides the one mentioned above. All were heart/lung shots.

The question of it in .270 Win vs .270 Wtby mag is because I am looking at building a new sheep rifle in this caliber .270 Wtby and with what you've brought to light for me shows me I maybe on the right track.

Thx

Mule
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Bronze Point was a good bullet for its time, and was indeed one of the (but not THE) first tipped bullets. Today, there are probably better choices, ESPECIALLY for a cartridge that exceeds 3,000 fps.

The price you pay for owning a premium magnum is that you simply must use premium bullets in it. Standard bullets are constructed for standard velocities, and can fail miserably at higher launch speeds unless range is long enough for that velocity to dissipate.

Unfortunately, the fields are full of guys with 700-yard rifles who end up shooting game at 70 yards - and then complain about bullet failure. Worse, they complain about wounded and lost game, which is a travesty.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.