In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

old can of Bullseye

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
I purchased a old can of Bullseye at a local gun show just for the can. it has never been opened, what do you'all thank about the powder? Will it still be good? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    more then likely still good unless it was stored in extream bad conditions . I used some 40 years old and never had problem .Just be aware the older powder was Slightly hoter I had to go down .2 grains to equal same FPS from cronograph.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those early powders (like bullseye, unique, sharpshooter, etc) seem to have a very good life expectancy if they are properly stored. I still have samples of propellants made in the early part of the last century (teen's and twentys) that still work as expected.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is probably just fine. Double-base powders normally don't have the deterioration problems that single-base ones do. I have one or two of those little half-pound cube cans myself, and they are just fine.

BTW, it isn't that the powders have changed over the years, it's the fact that they've dried out a bit. We dispense powder by weight, and with some of the moisture and solvents gone, you are actually weighing out more powder to achieve the same weight of charge. Replacing inert matter with powder will make the charge seem more energetic/hotter. A sealed can shouldn't show that difference, whereas a can that has been opened and exposed to air numerous times will.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If there is rust inside the can, it is shot (pun intended).
  • Options
    peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just a note to clarify what cbyerly said. "Red dust" inside a powder can isn't rust; that's deteriorated powder. In my experience, it only happens with single-base powders like the IMR line. At least I've never seen it in anything but an IMR can. After disposal, the inside of the can was shiny and perfect.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the powder smells sweet, solvent like its good. If its acrid or bitter then I'd feed the grass with it. Sometimes the cans are rusty inside too as well as the red dust of dead powder.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I have some Bullseye I got in the early'70,s.
    Still goes bang fine. It always has been in the house, never damp.
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    I thought this was going to be about BBQ sauce.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nah, that doesn't come in cans...