In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

25/250

Got a used A11 Sako from a deceased estate with an excellent barrel but a poorly executed chamber to 250 Savage.
My problem is 250 Svavage brass is getting really hard to come buy especially down under.
I'm think go with the 250 chamber instead. Any opinions?[?]

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll go look at the specs but you do know the 250 is the original(parent) case for the 22/250.
    Any chance action is long enough to handle the 257 Roberts (57mm) length case? Another option would be one of the 22 bore wildcats based on the 243 Win case.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    treadlightly,

It seems we've been down this road a couple times already.

If .250 Savage brass isn't very obtainable down in Australia, you could go to the next couple sizes larger, and that is the .25 Souper (necked down .308 case to .257 or necked up .243 case) or the .257 Roberts. That chamber will clean up to either of those cartridges. It will clean up quite nicely to the 25-06. You can use 25-06 cases or .270 Win cases to form that. Edit: off the top of my head I do not know if that rifle can handle a long cartridge.

The caveat is you are going to need to neck turn cases that you form one way or the other. Larger necks coming down will need to be thinned down to normal. Smaller necks getting necked up will need to have the doughnut turned off the shoulder.

Since that seems to be the major issue down there, I would find which "quality" brass is obtainable in reasonable quantities and talk to your gunsmith about going that route.

Personally, for the abundance of it, the .25 Souper (.308 necked to .257) is probably the easiest obtainable brass. It will cost you a little getting the dies, but well worth it considering you don't have to worry about decent brass. It will give near .25-06 performance without issue. It will beat a .257 Roberts simply because of the case taper. Edit: Lack of it in the .25 Souper case.

-good luck
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 25 Souper (Google it and you'll find my article about it). It is a wonderful cartridge, but it is a bit smaller than the Roberts; loaded to the same pressures, it won't quite match Ned's little darling. But it does match the justly praised 250 Savage AI, which is no slouch.

I get a comfortable 3400 fps with the 75 V-Max and (IIRC) 3000 with a 100-grainer. That, as I sometimes say, is "modanuff."

BTW, I NEVER size necks up to form wildcat brass. There's always the risk of somebody finding a round and believing the headstamp. I used 7-08 brass but that was before the 260 cam out. Reforming either is a simple pass through the 25-308 sizer, no neck turning needed with most brass makes.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky,

Is your Souper case length 2.015" or 2.035"?
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the 2.015" length, same as the .308. But to tell the truth, I often just trim them to 2.00" even.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.