In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hard Bolt Closure - 300 Weatherby Resized Cases

22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
I picked up a 700 Remington Classic in 300 Weatherby last week that has had few if any rounds fired. I don't have any factory rounds on hand but have been trying to reload some once fired Weatherby brass today with new RCBS dies. Resized once and couldn't close the bolt. I set the die deeper in the press and can now close the bolt but it is hard to do. I've run in to comparable problems before with non-belted calibers where the die wasn't set to push the shoulder back far enough. However, in this case the die base is solidly against the shell holder, plus 1/4 or more turn, and I'm giving the press lever about all the pressure it, and I, can take. The case goes in the rifle chamber but it is still very hard to close the bolt. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Just resizing the brass so far. No primer, bullet, or powder. Do not plan to crimp though.

Thanks to all for the recommendations. To answer the questions: Cases are Weatherby and I'm sure they are once fired but not in this rifle. Checked case length and they are 2.821 to 2.825 which should be ok. Lube is Hornady spray case lube. Shell holder is RCBS. Dies are new and look fine to me. No brass build up on the bolt face; looks very clean as in unfired or fired very little. I'll check the bolt/receiver locking lugs to be sure all is clean. Bolt closes very hard but once closed can easily be raised and then easily closed again. But if take case out of chamber and reload, then is is hard to close again. Guess a trip to the gun shop is in order to try a new factory load and have the gunsmith take a look.

Ambrose, yes, that is correct. Load the case, push bolt handle down HARD and bolt closes. Then lift bolt and close again, no problem, feels normal. Open bolt, case seems to extract normally, reinsert same case and bolt is again very hard to close.

Comments

• Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Are you crimping the bullets?
  • Options
    76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you checked the case length? Might need to trim.

Are you saying that you sized the cases, and they wouldn't chamber correctly, so you resized the sized cases?

What manufacture of brass? Are you certain it is once-fired?

Dies are new, did you disassemble/clean them prior to use? Everything look okay with the dies? What case lube?

I know that 300 Wby ammo is expensive, but I would get a box and see how the factory rounds chamber in the rifle. If the factory rounds chamber hard, it is most likely something with the rifle, and not the cases/dies.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is your shell holder the same brand as your dies? You might check the bolt face for brass build up. Also clean the recesses for the locking lugs in the reciever. Last check the case length sometimes even once fired brass is too long.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Another vote for checking overall case lenth. What kind of case lube?
    I use Hornady Unique Case lube, I put a little dab on a Q tip and lube the inside of the case neck. This helps your press work easier.
    All of the advice you've been given is good, check everything.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen this happen when the brass was fired in another gun that had excessive headspace and the brass case head stretchs between the belted rim and the head of the case. This area is not re-sized in a belted magnum die.

I think maybe a company makes a die for such for approx $80, but not sure as this area would be hard to re-size due to the solid web area of the brass.

I would also try a NEW brass hull or factory ammo and if still tight have the gun checked by a competent gunsmith even if a new gun just to make sure all is normal before firing a round!
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Is your shell holder the same brand as your dies? You might check the bolt face for brass build up. Also clean the recesses for the locking lugs in the reciever. Last check the case length sometimes even once fired brass is too long.

Try another shell holder. A friend had the same problem with 223, I think. He took his shell holder and put it in his lathe and took a few thousnads off the face to get the shoulder back some.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do I understand correctly that once you close the bolt on a case the bolt raises and lowers easily but if you remove and then replace the SAME case the bolt is hard to close again? If that's so, then there must be a problem with the extractor. I've never heard of that with a 700, but there must be something wedged behind that extractor preventing it from over-riding the case rim.

EDIT: You could check for an extractor problem with any of several belted magnum cases like a 7mm Rem. Mag. or .300 Win. Mag.--you do not necessarily need a .300 Weatherby case.

EDIT II: I do not think your problem is with your cases or the way you're resizing them. I believe the extractor is not moving aside as freely as it needs to in order to over-ride the case rim. The case would, of course, extract normally even so. Are you getting scars on your case rim where the extractor might be gouging it? If so, the extractor should be removed and its recess checked for foreign matter. That will require a tool that most of us do not have. (Read gunsmith trip!) The only other thing I can think of that my be causing your problem is an almost impossibly heavy plunger ejector spring.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Carl Gustaf in 7mm RMag and it really like Norma brass but last 200 I got Weatherby brand marked made by norma. You should try the fit with factory Rem or Win ammo. I always have best results with new brass for my guns, used stuff bring out these sort of problems.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I have a Carl Gustaf in 7mm RMag and it really like Norma brass but last 200 I got Weatherby brand marked made by norma. You should try the fit with factory Rem or Win ammo. I always have best results with new brass for my guns, used stuff bring out these sort of problems.

used stuff bring out these sort of problems.Very true. I don't buy brass that is SAID TO BE once fired, especially MAGNUM brass. I only use once fired brass unless I witness it being once fired
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put bluing or black marker on the case as well as the base and top and bottom of the belt and repeat the problem.
    The blacking will be removed in the problem area.
    The belt could be expanded or not concentric to the resized case or the bolt face may not be perpendicular to the case body.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy new brass or get this die. Check out the website, many tips on loading the belted magnums. diebig.jpg
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That die sizes right up to the belt but doesn't address the concentricity or expansion of the belt.
    Do the blackening job and see where it is rubbing off. That will focus you on the problem.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A easy and user friendly way to blacken a empty brass case for checking is too take a propane cigarette lighter and hold the bright polished case at the very tip of the flame for a few seconds and the case will blacken easily.

This is also a easy way for adjusting a die for see how much you are acutally sizing the NECK only of a case!

I would try a new case first! It's a little strange that the case will load OK once then when you simply lift the bolt and attempt to re-close it's tight. (per your first post)

Have you found the problem YET????