In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

40 S & W reloading for IDPA & USPSA?

pscgradpscgrad Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
I recently got involved with shooting IDPA & USPSA. What a rush! I need to start hand loding to help out with the cost. I do have a redding press and dies for the 40 S & W. My question is what would you advise to use for a bullet weight and or type. And where is there a good web page for load data? Anything you suggest will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm using Berry's 180 grain flat point with CCI primers and 4.0 grains of Titegroup. The Berry's are a plated bullet and they reccomend that you keep velocities low. Otherwise you will strip the plating right off of 'em. It's a pretty soft shooting load so you can put lots of 'em downrange without feeling it too bad at the end of the day. I run these loads through a Glock 23, 27, and 35 and have not had so much as a hiccup with them.
    The Glock 40's have a partially unsupported chamber so you don't want to try and push your reloads to super high velocities/pressures if you're shooting a Glock.
    As far as data goes, try this for basic information.
    http://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html
    I would reccomend that you buy multiple books with reloading data and keep them on hand for reference.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some ranges have restriction for bullet types.

At the outdoor range we shoot IDPA, I use Lazercast bullets. A little less expensive, but hard enough that they don't lead up your barrel. Lead bullets are not recommended for barrels with polygonal rifling.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm shooting the Springfield XD.