In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mosin nagant 91/30

wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
where can i find a good load for this using a 150 grain bullet for just target at say 150 yrds? i read where someone was using trailboss powder. hmm!

Comments

• Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure there many possibilities, but my 91/30 likes a 150 gr bullet with 50.0 gr of IMR 4350. I slugged my bore and use a .311 dia. bullet.

It took a lot of experimentation to find the "best" hand load for my rifle. Unfortunately, my "best" hand load is no more accurate in my 91/30 than the cheap "light ball" spam can surplus stuff [B)].

Heck, the loaded ammo, delivered to my door, costs less than just the Sierra bullets. Needless to say, I don't load much for mine.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If cast lead, than trail boss is a good choice. If jacketed, that's going to be a bang.........................................clunk load.

Any good load manual or many reloading websites will have loads suitable for this caliber. I'd suggest a fairly slow powder such as H 414 or IMR 4350 and you're good to go.
  • Options
    wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok so if i try the trailboss where is a good place to bylead bullets online? and yeah reload i ordered some surplus to. just was wondering about trying to reload some. id have to by the dies too. and what kind of reloader are you using for yours?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wcoxy2003
    ...and yeah reload i ordered some surplus to. just was wondering about trying to reload some. id have to by the dies too. and what kind of reloader are you using for yours?
    I use RCBS dies with full-length sizer and a rock chucker press for mine. The cast bullets posted above look nice, but they would be a bit undersize for me. Have you slugged your bore? It seems to be a good idea with the Mosins, as bore diameter can vary quite a bit from rifle to rifle. As I mentioned, I use .311" jacketed bullets. I enjoy working up loads, but my 91/30 just seems to love the surplus light ball ammo. Good Luck!
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used 150 gr. .308 Hornady spires with 47 gr. of H4895 for 2695 fps and 2.2" 5-shot groups. My Mosin is one of the old "long toms" with the 31"+ barrel. As reload999 posted, the 149 military load shoots best in my old Russian @ 2769 fps and 1.83 5-shot groups with old eyes and issue sights. Just for the heck of it I even reloaded some of the steel cases (I've got a few Berdan primers). Those old clunks are fun to shoot!