In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

XLR ????

fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
is there anyone using the Evo chassis? if so what do like about it over a glass/molded stock? what dont you like?

any info would be great

thanks

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fl23in,

I have several of these in process and I've completed another several a few weeks back.

The simplest description is if you like the AR15 feel and design you will get along with the Evolution chassis. It's really that easy. The grip is the same angle and placement, the front tube is similar in feel with the magazine in a similar location.

The biggest difference between this chassis version and all other chassis is that all the others use a 'v' block for the action and the Evolution uses a 'U' block. This might not sound quite as stunning as it is but the machining needed to produce a 'U' instead of the 'V' is significantly more, especially when you consider the fit.

The 'v' block produces a straight line point of contact along each side of the 'v'. The 'U' channel should (and does) have contact along the entire semi-circular channel for round actions.

There are two significant differences between synthetic stocks and these chassis:

- Synthetics use a conglomeration of epoxies, chopped fiberglass, fiberglass cloth and sometimes carbon fiber. The higher quality synthetics (read expensive) will not react adversely to changes in temperature and will remain comfortable to handle and shoot under diverse conditions.

- Chassis are usually aluminum with some plastic parts. Aluminum will react to changes in temperature and conditions, often leading to discomfort during practice, competition or hunting.

-Weight for a standard synthetic stock will be in the neighborhood of 2-1/2 lbs. The aluminum chassis will be heavier, in the area of 4 lbs. to 5 lbs. per the manufacturers website. This can cause some consternation when you first pick your rifle up to shoulder it. Don't be surprised, plan ahead for your build.

I happen to like some chassis but they are not for everyone nor will they perform in all situations as a synthetic stock will. I suggest trying to find someone local with an XLR to see if it meets your needs before putting down hard-earned cash.

One thing you will not have to worry about is customer service. These guys are super and will take good care of your order and you.

Now, one final observation.

If you want to consider another solution you might want to look at Tom Manners' Mini-chassis variation with one of his stocks. I use the T5A Mini-Chassis for a number of competitions because I can switch barreled actions in the stock in about 2 minutes.

http://mannerstocks.com/

Best.
  • Options
    fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ^ yea i have dealings with kyle on other little stuff, and i really like is professionalizm.

i personally have only shot 1 AR gun so i really dont have a "feel" an AR, tho when i have picked them up they seem comfy.

i am not worried about weight it is purely a range sister. I mainly was asking the diff between chassis and stocks was i dont see why if i like the look and adjustablity of the evo i would pay couple hundred more for other brand stocks with less adjustment. I have also looked at the manners and it does not look to have the same adjustablity as the evo, and i prefer the look of the evo.

i have been looking for a local with a evo or manners but the closest one from other shooting forums i can find is over 200 miles away and that is just not fesable for me.

and i also have 3 other "stocks" i can use if the need arises were i need a stock over a chassis. i have a B&C med varmit, stock remy varmit. and plain B&C block bedded. With all the stocks i have used/ own i have not found a "comfy" one i truely love.

i also like that i can fit a full 1.25" barrel in hand guard for when i do my rebarrel, as soon as i pick my new round.