In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any problems shooting Missouri Bullets

pscgradpscgrad Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
I am thinking about purchasing 40 cal bullets from the Missouri Bullet company. It appears that these bullets are not jacketed or plated. I will be loading a Springfield XD has anyone experienced problems with this type of bullet. I expect I would need to clean with some kind of lead removal solvent.

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,200 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As much as I am devoted to cast bullets, I'm going to recommend that you stick to plated bullets for your XD. For one thing, there's a whole new learning curve for reloading cast bullets, and it is even a bit more tricky for semi-autos than revolvers.

Check out bullets from http://www.berrysmfg.com/ or http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can you tell me quickly what is different about it.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,200 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quickly? Not really. But cast bullets use different load data, different case prep steps, possibly a different expander, somewhat different crimping, have to be sized to a given bore diameter, may or may not feed in a given gun, and aren't recommended for barrels with polygonal rifling. (I don't know if the XD has it or not.)

Besides, they aren't that much cheaper than plated, if any. On the other hand, they sure would expand your reloading knowledge.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy some, load, shoot, repeat. Read the manuals and get a Lyman manual for lead bullets.

XD's do not have polygonal rifling.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I intend to get the Lyman Manual and then order some bullets from Missouri. Thanks
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If the barrel is normal with lands and grooves Lead UNPLATED bullets can be used with great results and VERY Little if any leading. IF the correct size for your bore and the Correct Lube with quality Barrel. I used SWAGED "SOFT" bullets in my match pistols . I cleaned after every 200-500 rounds got over 100,000 rounds out of each barrel and then only replaced because of wear on locking surfaces.You need GOOD LUBE I prefer soft lube you need two things from lube #1 keeps from having direct contact between bullet and bore and #2 seal against Hot Gas leaking past the bullet "gas cutting" see my post on top of this forum about CRIMPING semi auto cartridges.I have loaded over 350,000 rounds of lead bullets
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any brand of cast bullet may be a problem in the Springfield XD. Tight chambers seem to be common online. Lead being .401" in diameter is just a hair larger than jacketed. This can sometime be overcome by seating the bullets deeper. This is ok as long as they feed & you use a starting load & workup. The 40 S&W is a high pressure round, not like the low PSI 45 acp with target loads that i shoot lead in. Dont load maximum in the 40.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]