In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need help first timer reloading .223 and 8mm mause

im looking to get into reloading for those cartridges first thing is ill need a press so what should i get a single stage a turret press or a progressive press keep in mind it must be affordable also need to know what primers to buy as well as powders. also keep in mind i dont plan on using any heavier than a 55 grain bullet in the .223 my current budget is 150$ for the press combined with any dies and shell holders. ive looked at several presses so far and using a single stage isnt a problem just very time consuming. i did find a turret press in my range at CTD however they do not have the gauge and shell holder for the .223 in stock and cannot back order it. thanks in advance and any help would go a long way as well as be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started reloading about 4 years ago and got the Dillon RL550B. I load for the 223, 270, 308, 32 Sp, and a few pistol calibers. I think the very first thing you should get are a couple good reloading manuals. Study up on the calibers you want to load and take your time. Good luck!
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Buy a Lee classic press
    and any primers CCi Fed Rem;
    buy a couple pounds of H4895
    and you can't go wrong.

(for the 223.... I don't have exp with the 8mm)
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I second that- go with a single stage to start. The Lee Classic Cast is the best value going, with some features better than the 'industry standard' RCBS Rockchucker.

As said, most any primer is fine for everyday shooting.

I have best luck in the 223 with BLC2 and 4064 for the 8mm. However the previously mentioned 4895 will work very well with both and might be a good option for one stop shopping. Do note that a lot of load manuals download the 8mm in case someone shoots it out of an old 1888 style gun. If you get set up email me at endofwork@netzero.net and we can discuss loads. I'd also be happy to chat on the phone for a bit if you need any tips or longer discussions.

Jon
  • Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    thanks guys i did find a 4 hole turret press kit for 110$ however that leaves no room for dies or shell holders but that kit includes the powder measure ase well as a scale and case trimmer. however i am unable to find any such deal for a single stage that can compare to that deal. oh and it might help u guys to know what rifles these shells are for in the case of the .223 its a 24 inch barrelled AR15 type rifle and as for the 8mm mauser its a 28 inch turkish k98. as far as the member who posted his email adress id like to talk to you on that subject however I cant email you from this browser im on a PS3 and I cant click on that link or copy it for some reason I can be reached at donmanfarster@yahoo.com
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS Rockchucker
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an assortment of .224 bullets made by Sisk,Speer, Sierra, and Nosler you can have.

I bought a (lot) of componets that had them in there and I don't reload any .22 caliber centerfire.

300-500 pieces total.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JusrC I cant afford the RCBS rockchucker as it is well out of my price range and bambambam id love to have those bullets as I only have 100 nosler ballistic tips for the .223.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well I ordered a press didnt get the full kit like I wanred but was able to get a 4 hole turret press and a die set still will need a powder measure as well as a case trimmer and a decapper as well as a hand primer. the kit was backordered on cabelas but they had my press and dies on both sites the decapper was out of stock but for the most part I am setup.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Email me your info and I'd be glad to send them to someone who could use them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Email sent and thanks again. On a side note my AR15 is now sighted in and if the weather would just cooperate I could get some range time in
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First thing, GET THE BOOK!
    A Lyman 49th edition is one of the best.
    The Lee book is ok since you are using their equipment.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Hawk. You need the book first and Lyman offers a good selection of data using numerous brands of components.
    manual
    press
    dies
    case lube
    some sort of priming equipment(either press mounted or separate)
    powder scale
    some sort of powder measuring equipment(scoops or manual measure)
    a caliper is advantageous for checking overall length and case length
    case trimmer and chamfer tool
    as funds allow add a case tumbler w/media and a chronograph
    For the beginner, don't get crazy with reaching maximum loads. Use a middle of the road powder and bullets. For the 223 look at MidSouthShooterSupply's varmint nightmare bullets. The 55 grain with crimp groove is very good in the AR and accurate in several rifles for me. For the 8mm, I've had decent results with Remington 185 grain and Nosler 180 but those rifles are pretty much variable and no two I've had liked the same bullet/load. PriviPatisan has a 175 grain which might be a winner for paper targets.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh yes, forgot to add. I would not recommend mixing foreign and domestic 8mm cases. I used some starting loads in foreign made HotShot" brand cases and found them to be close to max loads while the same charge in Winchester cases were mild.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well the dies I bought include load data and as far as brass for the 8mm I think the only foriegn brass I own is sellier and bellot cases and I only have 3 boxes of those of all the rounds I've fired over the years they are the hottest they fire 2 inches high at 100 yds and are cheaper than domestic rounds, however that rifle is a shoulder breaker especially with those rounds real strange looking bullet too only fired 3 rounds of those 196 grain spire point cut edge rounds most commercial rounds are 170 grain for that caliber. The most accurate bullets I've shot were 125 grain reload which were about a half inch high at 200 yds. I figure its time to reload since the only shells I can find are the sellier and bellot rounds and even though they perform well my shoulder and eye cant take those beatings. I really dont get why mine kicks so much harder than my grandads especially when mine is not only heavier but has a longer barrel and a recoil pad.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Email recieved, I'll get them sent out first chance I get.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well I got the press and my first set of dies. I am a bit annoyed as to why it didnt include a factory crimp die as now I have to buy one of those. later ill have to get my 8mm dies as well as a 6mm remington dies for grandpa and .300 win mag dies for my cousin. still have to go get primers and powders for those 2 that will involve waiting for a paycheck
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cyclonus
    well I got the press and my first set of dies. I am a bit annoyed as to why it didnt include a factory crimp die as now I have to buy one of those. later ill have to get my 8mm dies as well as a 6mm remington dies for grandpa and .300 win mag dies for my cousin. still have to go get primers and powders for those 2 that will involve waiting for a paycheck

You don't have to buy a factory crimp die for either the 8mm or the .223. Or, for any bottleneck case for that matter. Just load slow and careful and get your dies set up right.

For the sizer, I like to have the die come right down the the junction of the neck. If your dies are 14 tpi then you can roughly figure how much to turn the die in or out to get there. Each full turn is about .072" So half a turn is .036", 1/4 turn is .018", 1/8 turn is .009". Think of it as 1/2= point toward you goes exactly opposite. 1/4=90 deg to point toward you. 1/8= half of that or 45 deg.

To seat, with the die up a ways, run the case all the way up. Screw the seater down til it's firm on the case. Lock it. Then screw the seater plug out a bit. When you go to seat your first bullet, it will come out long. Figure out the thread pitch and divide 1 by that number. that will give you the distance, in thousandths, each revolution makes. Adjust your seating depth down as necessary.

If you want a crimp on your cases then after you've set the seater die (not the seater plug) turn the die in 1/32-1/16th. Set the seater plug after you've adjusted the die.

Just make sure your cases get sized down to fit your chambers. And, during this I recommend getting some Imperial sizing wax. I've tried all the others, nothing comes close.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll admit I probably dont need the crimp die for the 8mm but I will need it for the .223 as its going to be used in an autoloader that has M4 feed cuts in it and I'd rather not have any bullets pushed back into the case on it. but for a measley 10$ problem solved. I am annoyed that the 8mm lee pacesetter dies dont include a collet die but with how small the case shoulder is on that round is its probably not necessary. At least it comes with the factory crimp die. Now for a question why do the deluxe rifle die sets include 2 decappers isn't only one necessary?
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll admit I probably dont need the crimp die for the 8mm but I will need it for the .223 as its going to be used in an autoloader that has M4 feed cuts in it and I'd rather not have any bullets pushed back into the case on it. but for a measley 10$ problem solved. I am annoyed that the 8mm lee pacesetter dies dont include a collet die but with how small the case shoulder is on that round is its probably not necessary. At least it comes with the factory crimp die. Now for a question why do the deluxe rifle die sets include 2 decappers isn't only one necessary?

cause while you are learning, and on occassion after as well, you WILL bust a decapping pin.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I dont see that as even possible when it says unbreakable in the lee catalogue. Although I've always defied the odds on just about everything.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    It does not come with "Two decappers." One of those is the full length sizer, the other is the neck only collet sizer, which is available as a set for only some calibers. The third die is the seater.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

If you are talking about the Redding sets, one is a neck sizer the other is a full length sizer. For an AR you always want to full length size.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm talking about lee's deluxe rifle die set it came with 3 dies a full length sizing die with decapper a collet neck sizing die with decapper and a bullet seating die but no factory crimp die. I've noticed that the lee pacesetter dies arent much different other than instead of the collet neck sizing die it includes the factory crimp die although both include the same extras like the powder dipper shell holder and load data. This kind of annoys me cause no matter what you have to buy another die. Lee doesnt make a deluxe rifle set for the 8mm so I'll have to buy a collet neck sizing die to have all 4 for it. I noticed that my press came with a shell holder for the .40 S&W however despite having one of those I have no intention of ever reloading that caliber so that part will never get used.