In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

8mm Mauser help?

I seem to be having some trouble locating bullets for this cartrige I know the equivalent is .323 however it either seems like noone is making these anymore or the ones I do find are 50$ a box my other major problem is such a sparse selection of bullet weights I know there are smaller bullets than 170 grains. I distinctly remember rounds at 125 grains that I had great success with. In other words id like to get the most velocity I can out of this cartrige as possible which requires a smaller bullet. I primarily use this rifle for deer hunting and despite this rifle excelling at that my eyes arent so good anymore and not making a horrible mess out of a deer would be nice. Personally I think this rifle would be perfect for elk hunting in Arizona if it only had a flatter trajectory at 200 yds+ I know it definitely has more than enough power up to 200yds to drop any game in the world. If only I could find some lighter bullets.

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speer makes (or did make) 150 and 175 gr. bullets in 8mm. Both
    are excellent choices for deer size game. (forget the lighter stuff)
    Remington had some 185's that would do quite well on Elk. (push them hard) The 8x57 can be loaded close to the same levels as the 30-06.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best preformance if you load your own, factory loading is weak. WW brass would be my choice the last rem were not all that good. I shoot a lot of hard cast lyman 323470 barefoot just for trigger time.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensionid=6300
  • Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    yep I agree the factory loadings are weak on all but the sellier & bellot round which are hot 2 inches high at 150 yds however the only load they offer is 196 grain SPCE. however the recoil is unbearable. I've got about 4 or 5 boxes of it to shoot up just to get the brass from it (really nice clean brass btw much nicer than remington or winchester. Honestly if Idve known hornady was going to stop making those 125 grain spire points I wouldve boght every box they had.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    You won't find a selection like you will for .30 caliber for sure. However, look at midway, grafs, midsouth, etc. All the major companies offer 1-3 weights in .323.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    there has to be someplace somewhere or some company that still makes bullets that are less than 150 grains the bullets I had looked strange almost looked exactly like a hershey kiss. Despite looking so strange there range performance was superb. like you guys said comparable to a 30/06 in ballistics. although the 30/06 has a longer effective range the 8mm I believe has it beat in power. What I really dont understand is what is the obsession with heavy bullets when speed is such a huge factor. I will always prefer the faster lighter round.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could post on the wanted forum. I bet if you offer enough to make it worth it, someone will find some. Have you considered bumping down bullets? Maybe it would be worth it to swage what you want. The cast boolits folks have a section for that.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cyclonus
    there has to be someplace somewhere or some company that still makes bullets that are less than 150 grains the bullets I had looked strange almost looked exactly like a hershey kiss. Despite looking so strange there range performance was superb. like you guys said comparable to a 30/06 in ballistics. although the 30/06 has a longer effective range the 8mm I believe has it beat in power. What I really dont understand is what is the obsession with heavy bullets when speed is such a huge factor. I will always prefer the faster lighter round.

Because the twist rate of the rifling in most 8mm bores is optimized for a 150 or 198 grain bullet. Lighter bullets might over-stabilize and come apart at higher velocities.

However if you really want the light ones, since you apparently didn't look at the sites I suggested:
    http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/21417

That what you are looking for?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BINGO thats them I'll be buying at least 5 boxes of those THANK YOU oh and to the guy who thinks you can overstabilize its not possible not enough velocity.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Remington 185 CoreLokt is designed for the 8mmRem mag and should be considered a "very controlled expansion" bullet at 8x57 velocities. I have plans to use this bullet should I ever get the chance to hunt black bears from a stand again(in addition to the 338/06 anyway). I expect they would do well on elk out to 200 + yards if loaded hot.
    The lightest .323 Nosler Partition would be my go to bullet for universal use.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks sandwarrior and Jonks the grafs site has everything i need at much cheaper than I expected prices.