In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

244 h&h

DEEREHARTDEEREHART Member Posts: 373 ✭✭
Any one have any experiance with reloading this caliber? Ackley warns of problems with under loading and IMR 4350 and H 4831. I am wondering if H 1000 or Vihtavuori 165 could be a viable option.

Cyclonus; Hodgdon lists H-1000 as very slow burning Exteme Extruded rifle powder suitable for "overbore" calibers like 7mm rem mag and 30-378 weatherby. I am sure it also may have some aplications in the large bore pistol world.

Comments

• CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    Dont use H1000 as that is made for magnum pistols and will likely damage your rifle.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cyclonus,

You are confused.

Hodgdon H-1000 is slow, magnum powder for larger capacity RIFLE cases.

Best.
  • CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    Hmm im wondering what powder I have then oh its an alliant powder called 1000 my mistake I got it awhile back to reload 44 mag and then got rid of the gun. Still have the powder though and the only handgun I have left is a .40 S&W to which Im sure it is ill advised to use that powder.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cyclonus,

I never thought the 'ol "Attention to detail" bug would hit me. But it has. I've had to dump half a hopper of powder on a couple occasions because I forgot what I left in there. (violation of a smart rule) and having a misconception about one powder to the next caused me some slight powder burns on the face. It was more than just a primer popping. {notice I had my safety glasses on[8D]}

So, don't feel alone. Do yourself a favor and learn early to check and double check and if you need to make yourself a checklist of everything to do when reloading. Post it by your reload bench and force yourself to follow it. Stop and check the "rules" by habit and you'll come out okay in the end. "Rules" meaning know which powder is for which and what and what bullets go with it in what cases.[;)]

Hopefully, some good advice.