In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dings in the Federal 308 Brass Casings

wallyentwallyent Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
Was told these are once fired but most all have these small dings/dents on the sides. Are these from cycling in a certain firearm and will they interfere with someone wanting these to reload? Thanks!!

Brass3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont know the correct term but those cases appear to have been caught during ejection...simular to a "stove pipe" in a handgun...could be totaly wrong...those dents do look deep though
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every Fedreal case I get goes in the scrap bucket. All recent mfg cases have loose primer pockets.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The next time you smack that case with 50,000 PSI those dents will iron right out. There is nothing to worry about because of the dent.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That will be a weak spot in the case. But you will most likely split the neck, wear out the primer pocket, or lose the case due to head seperation first.
  • Options
    wallyentwallyent Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's what we thought. Thanks again for the info.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wallyent,

Those are 'ejection dings'. No big deal. Reload and shoot.

Sorry, meant to reply with a quote, NOT edit yours DUHHH.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was shooting an H&K-91 I would reload all cases that didn't have a split or other similar defect. The H&K fluted chamber lines and ejection dent are pretty significant, but I never had a problem using Federal, military, W-W and PMC brass. The chamber pressures will straighten the case wall and match it to the chamber of your rifle. Be sure to do the needed case inspections.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    wallyent,

Those are 'ejection dings'. No big deal. Reload and shoot.

Sorry, meant o reply with a quote, NOT edit yours DUHHH.

Ok lets see if I can keep from messing up Sandwarriors post this time[:I]

Those are ejection port dings from a semi-auto. I would say something like an HK clone without the delayed roller blowback that REALLY rips a case out of the chamber and flings it a long ways.