In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

6.5 Creedmoor

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Thinking about getting a longer range target gun for shooting rocks and such, no competition. Looking at a 6.5 creedmoor in a Ruger M77 with a 28" barrel just because I am not serious enough to want to spend $2K on a fun time target gun. Thoughts on the gun or caliber? Thanks and happy new year!

Todd

Comments

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thinking about buying one to play around with. Any one have one? If so what gun is it in and how does it shoot?

Todd
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok. Been trying to get the correct skinny on this cartridge. Even though Hornady says this is a "from the the bottom up newly designed round", it sure looks like a 6XC (which is a 250 savage with a modified Ackley taper, shortened to 1.90 over all case length, with a pushed back 30 degree shoulder) necked up to 6.5. I dont have any dimensional specs on the 6.5 to make caliper comparisons. Any ideas??

Vic
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one on order. A Cooper, but not here yet. Seems like most are Savage rifles, though I see Browning has added some in their line. Ruger makes some as well.

Seems like a good combo of recoil, range and down range energy.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot with a guy out in Nevada who had one out to one mile. for all intents and purposes He liked it more than the .260.

However, now Lapua is making .260 Brass and he felt if he was to do it again, he would go with the .260 just to get the better brass.

FWIW, there is a guy who is a top competition shooter who did a study on the 6.5x47, .260 and 6.5 Creedmoor, Zak Smith. He basically said there isn't a hill of beans difference in the three. All three will give you the best performance a 6.5 can give you without burning out barrels in short order.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    toad67,

Here is the link for the comparison article sandwarrior refers to:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

The advantage for the Creedmoor is the fact that factory competition ammunition is available. You don't have to be a reloader in order to compete.

I happen to favor the 6.5x47 Lapua but I'm having better success with the 6mmBRX currently. This is for 600 yard competition.

Best.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger 77V in 6.5 Creedmoor. Haven't done alot of shooting with it but found it to be easy to shoot, easy to reload and very accurate - of the "3 shots, 1 hole" at 100 yds and a bit larger at 200 & 300 yds. I haven't done much shooting with it but it seems fine.

I think the 77V is a bit under rated. Nicely adjustable trigger, flat forend. Makes for a nice set up.
    edited November -1
    nononsense,

I know I'm on a tangent from the original question but:

What platform are you using the 6mmBRX in, bolt or AR? Barrel length, gas tube length (f applicable)?

I'm really sold on the bolt style Harrison, of AR15 Performance, provides in the 6mm BRX and 6.5 BR. To really give enough strength to the AR-15 platform to make those rounds shine.
    Oh well, wish in one hand and wish the military would do something in the other has left many people empty handed... But, I really think that kind of step up would be awesome for our troops. It would be an excellent balance of a step up in power without killing our troops with weight.

And, if I may ask, why the 6.5x47 over the other two? It's a sound choice IMO, but I'd like to hear your version?
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior,

It's 0430 and I'm awake so I'll head into work here in a few minutes...

I have a variety of versions working right now for the 6mmBRX, a couple of ARs with the AR15 Performance bolts and then some bolt action rifles set up with different feeding systems. It's a test of the cartridge really which is a pain to magazine feed unless you're at a bench on a sunny day.[8D]

The 6.5x47 Lapua is eminently suited for most of the 600 yard/metre target competitions as well as many of the tactical formats. The biggest problem I see is the cost of the brass in the tactical formats since you rarely get to retrieve any of your own brass. It feeds nicely from magazines and feeds singly as good as all the rest of the intermediate .308/.22-250 Savage style cases.

The secondary use is finding some footing in the deer rifle category. As noted, the cartridge is accurate in many platforms as long as the gunsmith does his job properly. The recoil is mild and the energy is sufficient for 99% of all of the shots taken on deer in the U.S. We can build slightly smaller rifles with slightly shorter barrels for a package which is more convenient for most folks who don't shoot all that frequently.

Is it the best all-around? Probably not but it works. There is a large selection of cartridges available to us currently so I wouldn't even attempt to limit a shooter's desire to have any of them.

Best.
    edited November -1
    Are you using Grendel/6.8 SPC mags with a modified follower or standard 5.56 Mags? I really think for the BRX it would be a case of modifying the grooves. Maybe extensively. Everyone in the initial R&D of the 6.8 talked about how they could get it to run in standard 5.56 mags. But, it really came into it's own when they modified a magazine body specifically for it. The 6.5 Grendel wasn't really even an option without it. That would certainly take some doing to get that going.

As far as a deer gun, it doesn't hardly get any better than that. All the range and power you need without the recoil.

Edit: In fact, no matter how good a target/tactical rifle is, that's the first best selling attribute for a cartridge here in America. "Can it kill a deer?" (cleanly). We both know that Remington made their mistake against Winchester with the 6mm vs. .243. Not because the 6mm was less powerful, but because they didn't set it up to kill deer with it. I think the natural crossover will suit the 6.5x47 just fine as far as a deer hunting cartridge goes. A change of thinking within the industry too as far as bullets.
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior,

Too much time at work...

Yes, I have some 6.8 mags as well as about a dozen other types/brands since we use just about any mags on the market that are best quality. I've also done a few variations on mag feeding for bolt rifles. I was intrigued by the Eliseo version for bolt action rifles but they are hardly adequate for run & gun competitions. Bench or prone, fixed position sure but not the tactical stuff.

I have to put the cartridges on a rotating basis now because I have so many in testing right now. I can't stick with one for too long or I get behind. The current joy is a set of switch bolt/switch barrel match rifles...

Best.