In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

PMC brass question

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭
I've come onto somewhat of a windfall of PMC brass. While I have loaded PMC before, my question is whether the brass with crimped primer pockets is the same as w/o crimps(except for the crimps of course).
A couple of posters on another forum indicated PMC commercial brass was good enough for most uses.
edit:I failed to state it's stamped .223 Rem

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If its military PMC (hence the primer crimp) it will be just a tad thicker as with most Mil brass.

I had to separate mine a few years back for my .30-06. Nothing bad, but you could tell during extraction it was a little stiff from the commercial brass.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easy way to tell is to weigh the two types - do 10-15 of each type for an average - if the crimped primer cases are heavier, on average, they will have a thicker head/wall than the non-crimped. May need to reduce max charges to compensate for raised pressure caused by a smaller space.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Average of 10 ea. PMC223 92.85gr.- PMC223 93.11gr.-LC 92.84gr-MKE 98.26gr-BlackHillsMatch 94.2gr-LC 92.78gr.The PMC 223 brass with no crimp only lasted 3 firings. About 90% were scrap from split necks. Checking the weight of brass is the only way to know. Things change from lot to lot. http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/223rem/
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks
    I've noticed the crimped primer brass seems to be a different tinge and seems harder than some of the other.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most military spec rifle brass is required to show the neck annealing colors. This will cause a darker color down to the shoulder. It can't be final polished like commercial brass as that would take of the annealing color.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The brass color I'm talking about is more orange than normal the usual brass. I've seen it often in foreign military brass which also turned out to be harder than domestic brass.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PMC is now owned and made in Korea by Poongsan I believe, so the foreign-brass issues will probably apply. It used to be owned and assembled in the US.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    PMC History- The original parent company, a U.S. corporation registered in Delaware, was founded in the late 1970's in New York as Patton Morgan Corporation. It began operations by importing military style small arms ammunition and .22 rimfire ammunition manufactured in South Korea. The ammunition was sold then, as it still is, under the registered brand name "PMC Ammunition", and the original slogan, "Precision Made Cartridges" has never changed.

Several years later, the company moved to Los Angeles, California, and its name was changed to Pan Metal Corporation. In addition to its ammunition business, the company also dealt in other facets of the metals business. Early in the 1980's, the increasingly successful ammunition line was expanded to include hunting (soft point) cartridges in the rifle calibers, and hollow points in the handgun ammunition.

In 1988, factory facilities were purchased near Boulder City, Nevada, for the production of ammunition to supplement the Korean imports, and for the purpose of producing two new lines of high performance cartridges. These were the Starfire handgun ammunition for law enforcement and home and personal defense, and X-Bullet rifle ammunition for big game hunting, which were introduced to the market in late 1991. In 1996, shotgun shells were added to the line.

The factory is operated under the name Eldorado Cartridge Corporation, and is a subsidiary of Pan Metal Corporation.

Today, the company's continuously expanding small arms ammunition product selection includes a full line of centerfire rifle and pistol ammunition, rimfire ammunition, shotgun shells, and reloading components. Recently, a new company known as B.C. Outdoors was incorporated and became a part of the "Eldorado Cartridge Corporation Group of Companies." B.C. Outdoors imports the Verona line of quality superposed shotguns from Italy. The company's stated purpose, like that of Eldorado Cartridge Corporation, is "to provide high quality outdoor products to its customers at a reasonable price."

During its more than two decades of ammunition production and sales, PMC Ammunition has become very well known in the United States and other countries of the world as a source of high quality small arms cartridges. The firm is now considered the fourth largest ammunition company in the United States.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]