In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Silhouette powder

kshockkshock Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
Does anyone know if it is safe to go below the recommended starting load with this powder? Specifically, the starting load for a 158 grain bullet (both lead and jacketed?) is listed at 5.0 grains. Would it be safe to load the jacketed 158 grainers with 4.8 or 4.9 grains? I have read that one should not go below the starting loads with some powders (296?)but I have not found anything on other powders that share this characteristic and there is not alot of info out there on Silhouette

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I would cross reference with other load data with bullet/powder type. One book can run on the high side, others low. 9 times out of 10 you can see a safe average over all from high to low.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some powder need mag primers to get them lit. I'm thinking that you will not be able to tell 4.8 from 4.9 from 5.0. If you want a lighter load I'd select a different powder that produces the level you want with in the loading data guidelines. Lead bullets usually require less powder. Primers and case type/brand can make a big difference especially at the high end. Your crimp will be a factor too.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kshock,

If there is little information regarding this powder and the loading parameters, I suggest calling or writing the manufacturer to get the answer straight from them.

Western Powders, Inc.
    PO Box 158
    Top of Yellowstone Hill
    Miles City, MT 59301

406-234-0422
    Fax: 406-234-0430

http://www.ramshot.com/contact-us/

Best.
  • Options
    jimmcgeh@lisco.comjimmcgeh@lisco.com Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was just reading an article in an old Handloader Magazine # 250
    about low pressure loads.You can actually stick a bullet in barrel.
    I never thought about that or heard about it.
    Jim