In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best Powder For 9mm Luger?

hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
What is the best powder to use when reloading 9mm Luger using 115 GRRN bullet? I mostly have been using Bullseye and 700X. I tried Power Pistol but wasn't crazy about the results. I shoot a Glock 17 #2 and P38 P1. I know that you can't load them too hot for the P38 P1 because of the frame and slide.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Unique , very happy with it.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been using HP38 for some time now.

But what advantage do you see in changing powders?
    If you can get factory equivalent with 700X (Ick, I have loaded pistol ammo with it but I really have to grit my teeth to endure the variations of large flake size.) or Bullseye (which has been used in every smokeless powder pistol caliber known to man), I don't see much reason to change.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tite-group WW-231 Unique (my favorite), Red Dot and Bullseye.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hodgdon Titegroup. Clean, cheap, meters well & it will load "target velocity" loads for just about any pistol cartridge. Great powder.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used Unique for years for full-power loads and 700-X for practice. I recently tried Power Pistol and it seems to have a little edge in velocity, gives good accuracy and has less muzzle flash than Unique. I use these in two Browning Hi-Powers, a Springfield XD, an Action Arms AT-84 and a Kahr PM-9.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Like Clays and 700-X, but Bruce (BPost) turned me on to Unique for hot loads with lower pressures, had some, tried it and love it for hotter loads. It's a little dirtier then 700-X, but only a little bit.

FPS seem to run hotter with lower pressure and it meters well.

Good luck.
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Red Dot is my favorite. I let the kids reload the 9mm rounds, and Red Dot is bulky enough that a double load will overflow the case. Also, the load we use (4.3 grains) is gentle but 100% reliable in every 9mm pistol or carbine we have shot.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Unique now in ALL my pistols, .45, 9mm, and .380 and I love it. Clean, low flash, and high velocities.

I used Power Pistol with 9mm, but found a bit more smoke...although the velocities were good.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a Unique guy also.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    I have been using HP38 for some time now.

But what advantage do you see in changing powders?
    If you can get factory equivalent with 700X (Ick, I have loaded pistol ammo with it but I really have to grit my teeth to endure the variations of large flake size.) or Bullseye (which has been used in every smokeless powder pistol caliber known to man), I don't see much reason to change.

I have found that Lee's perfect powder measure will keep the variation of 700x to a minimum.

I use 700x for all my 9mm loads. It works and it is cheap.
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's another vote for Unique.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like the Unique fans are winning it! [8D] Seems to be a bargain (I can still find 8# tubs for $105.00 or so) and it's versatile, working in every caliber well. Also there is a lot of loading data for it, almost every book has it.

I think it's just easier dealing with one powder, rather than several, as long as the results are good. That's also why I switched to VARGET for my rifle loads: .280, .30-06, and .223.
  • Options
    lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm partial to HP-38/Win 231 which is the same Powder.
    I have used that powder for 380ACP, 9mm, 38Spcl, 357Mag, and 45ACP with success. Plus the charge weights are fairly low, so you get several shots per pound but not too low that you get erratic performance, at least in my experience
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unique mainly because it's universal for many calibers and can be used for heavy 115 & 124 grain loads but Power Pistol is the only powder for maximum +P loads.