In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Primer question.

what is the difference between small rifle primers and small pistol primers is it unsafe to use small pistol primers in a .223 or is that a big no no. the reason I ask is because local shop doesnt have any small rifle primers in stock only small pistol primers . I compared a spent small rifle primer to that of the pistol primers and they are the same size however I'd rather not take a chance if it is unsafe to do so.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pistols operate at a max pressure of about 35,000 PSI, a rifle can go up to 60,000 Plus. The primers are designed to account for that pressure difference. It is VERY dangerous to shoot a pistol primer in a small rifle cartridge.

Always use the correct primer for the correct application.
  • Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    Thanks I'll have to gripe to get them to get the right primers in Idiot behind counter said they were the same thing.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another thing, there are MIL-Spec primers for uses in guns that do not a firing pin return spring. Those primers are designed to use in Military type cartridges, especially the 7.62X39.

If you have a choice ask for CCI. I have also found WOLF primers to be very consistent.
  • Options
    Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its been said you can swap small rifle for small pistol if your pistol can dent em. But never swap small pistol for use in a rifle, it will perferate them, bad ju ju. cup pressure is to high.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not use pistol primers in rifle loads except certain ones like 22 Hornet.
    Prior to the great primer shortage, I used only CCI primers. During that time, I used other brands for pistol but never changed brands for rifle cartridges.
    CCI#41 is the mil-spec small rifle primer designed for semiauto military type rifles. I don't know if they're really required(many reloaders don't use them) but I use them in all the AR ammo I load. They produce slightly larger groups than the standard CCI#400. I saw a new primer offering which I intend to try-Federal AR Match. Supposedly designed for the AR with improved accuracy potential over the CCI#41.