In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

357 reloading with HS-6. Magnum Primers or No?

torquimatatorquimata Member Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
Been reading mixed opinions on the web about using magnum small pistol primers and Hodgdon HS 6 powder for 357's. Used HS6 for some 45 Colts with standard large pistol primers and it was awful, lots of unburnt powder, will not do that again, will use magnums in that caliber from now on. However, was wondering with smaller 357 case if I should use magnums or will I have to worry about pressure problems. Any advice is always appreciated and thank you!

Comments

• Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use small pistol for HS-6, W296, & Titegroup in my GP-100 .357 mag rounds.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, it might burn cleaner at a higher pressure. Long time since I loaded with HS6 but IIRC it didn't do well with light loads.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobuck is correct. The unburned powder can be from light loads. Low pressures can cause erratic ignition and unburned powder even when using magnum primers.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Using magnum primers to correct poor burning is a mistake. No ballistics lab would recommend it.

The higher initial pressure can unseat the bullet, which has the effect of increasing case volume. That in turn causes the powder to burn LESS efficiently for a brief moment, and pressure actually drops. Then the bullet encounters the lands and slows. Pressure rises again, creating a "double hump" pressure curve which can be very erratic. Overall velocity can be less, muzzle velocity can have a wide spread, accuracy is liable to be worse. And in the worst case, you can experience a hangfire or squib, especially in a revolver if the bullet clears the cylinder gap as the pressure is first falling.

Increase the charge, load a heavier bullet, or change powder. But do not switch to a magnum primer.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    torquimatatorquimata Member Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the great advice. I will try regular small pistol primers and loads on the heavier side of the HS-6 powder/bullet
    range!