In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7.62X39 Reloading

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
Hi guys, hey I got hold of some Speer 303 cal 150 gr .311 spitzer sp's I was wondering if I could use them in my sporterized Norinko Sks? I have a load I found in Metallic Cart. #Rd Ed. IMR4198 21.0 to 23.0 will it work, is it safe,any thoughts are wellcome I would like to use these bullets some how.

Comments

• dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to reload for the 7.62X39 (just bought a CZ 527 Carbine) but since I bought the rifle for plinking, using cheap ammo and NOT having to reload I'm trying to keep it a bit on the cheap. I'll do a bit of reloading just for fun.

I prefer neck sizing but am having trouble finding an economical neck sizing die or die set. The "turn out a FL dies 1/4 turn" approach still requires case lube and I want to avoid that, so I'm trying to assemble a neck sizing die in .310 diameter. Hornady sells a "short 30" neck sizer die, but the inside neck expander button goes to .308 only, they don't show a .310 button anywhere.

Any suggestions?
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems like a lot of effort to excape a little case lube. You might consider a 310 lyman die for 303 brit neck sizer/expander and the incert for regular press. I bought a lot of stuff from randy but have heard the new guy was good. They had made some sets for 7.62x39 but I don't see them listed. http://www.the310shop.com/

edit I like jonk's solution http://leeprecision.com/collet-dies-7.62x39.html
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Seems like a lot of effort to excape a little case lube. You might consider a 310 lyman die for 303 brit neck sizer/expander and the incert for regular press. I bought a lot of stuff from randy but have heard the new guy was good. They had made some sets for 7.62x39 but I don't see them listed. http://www.the310shop.com/

Sometimes being lazy requires a bit of effort.[;)]

Thanks for the site, amazes me how specialized the net can get.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Lee offers their collet neck sizer as an off the shelf item, and they are no more expensive than any of their other neck sizers.

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/lee-collet-dies/

PS- don't order from lee directly, it costs more- go with midway or on the auction side here.
    edited November -1
    I tried the Lee collet, couldn't get the thing to work well - have you used and found it OK?
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Not on that caliber, but in a bunch of others. What problems were you having?

For it to work well, you need a good strong press- either a Rockchucker or Classic cast. No Lee Challengers with old style toggle links, and none of the smaller presses of any sort. You need a lot of pressure to actuate the collet.

Second, the nature of how the collet works is dependent on brass thickness. If you are getting loose bullets, remove the mandrel and spin in your drill with some emery paper to take a thousandth off or so. If you are getting stuck cases due to thick brass, try another brand or neck ream the cases.

Those are really the only 2 issues I've ever found.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're using boattail bullets, the .308 will work fine. I use a .308 expander to get a tighter grip on the bullets on all my 7.62x39 reloads. For flatbase bullets, you can bell the case mouth slightly to start them. The seater/crimp die will remove the bell.
    edited November -1
    Regarding the Lee collet, the bullets are loose - never quite got that crimping part right. And using the collet doesn't change doing the full length resize, which I want to avoid.

If I read correctly sizing the neck to .308 diameter and pushing in a .310 diameter bullet shouldn't be a problem, so long as I go boat tail, correct? I do chamfer the necks so that would help I presume. I suppose with the extra grab on the bullet I'll start reloads a bit low, but it seems that would be the way to go and using a Hornady "short 30" cal neck sizer the way to go.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the CZ have a .310 bore, or is it like some of the others that run .308? Check first, you might be doing steps you don't need to.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    Does the CZ have a .310 bore, or is it like some of the others that run .308? Check first, you might be doing steps you don't need to.

I've been told CZ uses .310 bore, eveything I've seen on the web shows .310.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No problem seating .310/.311 boattails in the cases I resized using the .308 expander. I also have a Lyman expander meant to allow seating lead bullets if the flat bases tend to snag.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    No problem seating .310/.311 boattails in the cases I resized using the .308 expander. I also have a Lyman expander meant to allow seating lead bullets if the flat bases tend to snag.

I contacted Hornady and they'll send me a .310 diameter sizing button for their New Dimension "short 30" caliber neck sizing die. So that will solve the issue, I can use whatever .310 diameter bullets are out there in the 125 grain arena. The ND die costs about $21.00.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you've got it licked. Let us know how it shoots!
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    A standard die set should do the trick. I use a Lee set , loading with sierra 180gr s/p heads & ppu brass.cci primers The cz is a forgiving rifle,for loads & heads & will shoot 1" all day with the right powder to 200yds +. If the head is seated to length & brass neck sized ok, it should be sweet.